Last time we all met in protest of the Strong 4 Life billboards in Georgia we amassed over 23 MILLION impressions on twitter within ONE HOUR on twitter. A very impressive feat and very strong demonstration of how people in social media feel about shaming children into better health. But our campaign to stop the billboards in Georgia is NOT over. There are several still up in Atlanta in some of the poorest neighborhoods where the obesity rate is very high. Why must the poorest children be made to feel so ashamed? We still have power to stop this! This is a fight about empowering children, not demeaning them and making them feel shame. No one here denies the fact that Georgia has the 2nd largest childhood obesity rate in the nation, but we feel in order to combat this statistic, it needs to be done in love and support….not with shame.
Fight obesity, not obese people…
Join us on Thursday, February 16th from 9-10pm EST using the hashtag #Ashamed to once again stand in protest against the Strong 4 Life billboards in Georgia.
Supportive Community Leaders Who are Joining Us:
(more to come…)
More information from Yale University about “weight bias”, how prevalent it is at home and school, how children are affected, and what you can do at home with your own children to help with the problem. Not only is childhood obesity a problem, but the way these children are treated presently actually does more harm than good. Makes me think that part of the solution NEEDS to include more tolerance, not shame.
1. $50 Visa gift certificates compliments of Mamavation (2 winners)
2. Book: Naked Fitness from @AndreaMetcalf (1 winner)
3. Videos: @AndreaMetcalf Pain Free (10 winners)
4. Videos: @AndreaMetcalf Keeping Fit for Women over 40 (3 winners)
5. Book: Health at Every Size donated by @FeedMeImCranky1 (1 winner)
6. Hoodie: DietsinReview Hoodie from @Dietsinreview (1 winner)
7. T-Shirts: DietsinReview T-shirts from @Dietsinreview (5 winners)
8. Book: The Spark from @wideloadroad (1 winner)
9. Perfume: Amazing Grace fragrance set from @Weightsover (1 winner)
10. Portion Control: Meal Measure Portion Control Tool from @Weightsover (1 winner)
11: Conference Ticket: One Bloggy Bootcamp ticket of your choice (1 winner you choose St. Louis, Philly, Dallas or Las Vegas)
12. Gift Card: One $50 gift card via @youngmommy (1 winner)
13. Conference Ticket: One Type A Conference Pass (1 winner)
(more to come…)
How to Enter (must be present to win, comment for every entry):
1. Tweet this message (1 entry per tweet)
I’m joining #Ashamed movement 2 stop @Strong_4_Life billboards. Fight obesity, not obese people…& NEVER shame children! http://bit.ly/yUvLLK
THURSDAY #Ashamed Chat from 9-10pm EST. I oppose the shaming of overweight children in GA. Will u join us? http://t.co/OWqWU52
2. Share this post on Facebook (1 entry)
4. Tweet to any media outlet letting them know about our chat on Thursday (1 entry per tweet)
If you would like to join us in protest simply hit the linky below.