So many of us in the community have struggled with food issues. Our concept of food is totally out of whack, so we don’t know what is good anymore. We’re trying to learn now – and we have awesome resources in Mamavation, which really helps! But what about our children? They have a step up on us – we, as their moms, are learning how to properly feed ourselves and we can help them too! Teaching kids to cook is a fantastic way to make sure that they understand nutrition, how to eat, and even to cook for themselves when they move out. This week we have the privilege of talking with Sally Sampson, founder of ChopChop: The Cooking Magazine for Families who knows all the ins and outs of teaching kids to cook.
Special Guest: Sally Sampson
Although she had been the author and coauthor of 21 cookbooks already, Sally Sampson wanted to do something more, something that would really make a difference. She had raised a child with a chronic illness, so she had spent quite a lot of time in pediatrician’s offices and hospitals over the years, and she turned her focus to the childhood obesity epidemic in the US to see if she could make a difference. She took her idea of having a pamphlet that doctors could use to prescribe cooking to their patients to several physicians and the response was overwhelmingly in positive – in 2010, Sally founded ChopChop Magazine and it has been growing strong ever since. The magazine is known for teaching kids how to cook healthy, simple foods – we’re not making funny faces or hiding ingredients here, but teaching nutrition in a straightforward approach that doesn’t talk down to the kids and is great for any beginning cook. The success of the magazine is incredible – in fact, just last month ChopChop won the James Beard Publication of the Year award, the first time a nonprofit publication has ever won!
On Monday, we will be talking with Sally Sampson about teaching kids to cook and how we can set our children up for a healthy life by providing them the experience and knowledge of the kitchen. And just think – our kids won’t have to learn later on down the road how to eat well because we’ve taken the time to prepare them for a life of health! She will have great ideas to share, so join us to Monday to hear Sally Sampson talk – you won’t regret it! You can connect with Sally and ChopChop Magazine on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Oh – and check out the ChopChop Magazine website for some recipe ideas to get you and your kids cooking!
Hey – did you read about the petition to request Similac stop using GMOs in their infant formula? Check it out here!
On Wednesday, June 19th, we’ll be having a Fitcation Application Launch Twitter Party at 7pm PST/10pm EST! Applications now open for Fitcation, and don’t forget to RSVP for the twitter party to be entered into the awesome giveaways.
Our next Mamavation Mom campaign is also acception applications – this one does NOT have a weight requirement and will be focused on detoxifying the WHOLE house, from your food to your household cleaners and personal care. Get your application video ready and apply to be one of the next Mamavation Moms! You can do it!
SISTAHOOD: If you are interested in pledging to the Mamavation Sistahood, Monday is the time to do it. Please go here for instructions. Invitations are done on Wednesdays over Twitter. (Or later if I get swamped)
BLOGGING CARNIVAL: This week’s blogging carnival is sponsored by ChopChop Magazine
- 2 participants will receive a ChopChop Magazine subscription
Be sure to include the following disclaimer at the bottom of your post:
GIVEAWAYS (You must attend Mamavation TV show to win):
- 2 Viewers will win a ChopChop Magazine subscription
To Enter (leave a comment for entry):
- Add your name and Twitter URL or blog URL to the linky below
- Tweet out this message “ Giveaways LIVE on
#Mamavation TV – we’re talking to @ChopChopMag about teaching kids how to cook! http://bit.ly/10mq1Ne ” (Unlimited Entries for tweets, comment each time)
Extra Entries (leave a comment for EVERY entry):
- Download the Alexa tool bar, http://www.alexa.com/toolbar (this will help your Alexa rating go up and will help Mamavation too!) (1 entry)
- Comment on a Mamavation Monday post. (2 entries for each blog you visit, so leave 2 comments!)
- Tell a Sista this week WHY she is special on twitter using the#mamavation hashtag (1 entry)
- RSVP to the Google+ event for Monday (1 entry)
- +1 the Google+ event for Monday (1 entry)
- Subscribe to the RSS feed of this blog (1 entry)
- Follow @InspiredRD on Twitter (1 entry)
- Follow @ChopChopMag on Twitter (1 entry)
- Like ChopChop Magazine on Facebook (1 entry)
- Follow ChopChop Magazine on Pinterest (1 entry)
- Give @Bookieboo Klout points, +Klout in Fitness, nutrition, health, social media, or parenting. (1 entry each)
- Start a thread on the forums and tag another Sista to join in on the conversation (1 entry)