The Santa Susana Field Laboratory located in the hills above Simi and San Fernando Valley is an infamous site in California where a partial nuclear meltdown happened in 1959 and was never cleaned up. Other accidents, spills, and releases led to widespread nuclear and chemical contamination of the site’s soil, groundwater, and surface water. Close to 60 years have gone by and politics, secrecy, corrupt agencies, and sinister lobbying by the Boeing Corporation have kept the contamination from being cleaned up, thereby allowing it to migrate offsite and threaten public health. The Woolsey fire which burned over 400 structures and forced the evacuation of over 200,000, started on the Santa Susana Field Laboratory property. And as the fire burned, it’s possible that nuclear and chemical smoke and ash were created from the burning of contaminated brush and soil on the property. Because wildfires are not expected to stop anytime soon, this site HAS to be cleaned up to background in order to protect all residents of Los Angeles and Ventura counties today and in the future. So on Friday, November 30th at 10am PST, we invite you to join us in pressuring Governor-Elect Gavin Newsom to take action immediately and save us all! You’ve trusted Mamavation to bring you topics like how to protect your family from the effects of smoke from wildfires, and what’s the best air purifier on the market, now join us for a twitter party that could literally be the fight for our lives.
When it comes to issues like pollution, the devil is always in the details. And the devilish details are the inter-workings of a state agency within California that has stalled the cleanup, ignored the needs of families, and has become a little too cozy with the Boeing Corporation. The Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) is a department within California that is in control of the cleanup, or really the lack of cleanup. In 2010, the DTSC, the Department of Energy and NASA signed a legal agreement to cleanup the site “to background” which means 100% as if the meltdowns, radioactive experiments, and thousands of gallons of carcinogenic chemicals Boeing Corporation is responsible for were never there. These cleanup efforts were supposed to be done by Fall 2017, but nothing has happened. Since then, lobbying from the Boeing Corporation has not only stalled the cleanup, but has convinced the DTSC it’s in their best interest to only cleanup the site between 2-10%. And they have launched counter attacks to scare the public and intimidate the State of California. (I was witness to their intense lobbying efforts 15 years ago when I worked for the California State Assembly in this local area.) We at Mamavation believe that Governor-Elect Gavin Newsom needs to intercede immediately to protect the health of the public in Los Angeles and ensure the cleanup efforts are done in a manner that protects the public and cleans up the site “to background” as promised.
We are asking the following from Governor-Elect Gavin Newsom:
- Appoint new DTSC leadership who will reform the agency top-to-bottom, fire corrupt staffers, kick out Boeing’s lobbyist, and ensure the 100% cleanup of the #SantaSusanaFieldLab as well as the other contaminated sites across California who have also been harmed by the DTSC’s negligence.
- Call the DTSC and demand they delay finalizing the Environmental Impact Report (EIR) until he’s sworn in office in January in order to ensure the process is in the best efforts for the public and not the Boeing Corporation
- To deny Barbara Lee, current Director of the DTSC, reappointment and appoint someone who is not afraid of the Boeing Corporation and doesn’t have cozy ties with a polluting industry
Details of #SSFL Twitter Party
If you have never attended a twitter party click here to learn more about how to join one. They are exciting and super quick so get ready for a ride!
Who: The Mamavation Community & Parents Vs. Santa Susana Field Lab
What: Twitter Party to pressure newly elected California Governor Gavin Newsom to step in and save Los Angeles from Nuclear contamination by demanding a full cleanup to background of the Santa Susana Field Lab. Wildfires will continue to burn that area as climate change continues to be a problem.
When: Friday, November 30th
Time: 10am PST/1pm EST
Use Hashtag: #SSFL
Prizes at the #SSFL Twitter Party
Mamavation is proud to offer several giveaways to participants at the #SSFL party.
- Invite-Only Magic Castle Tickets for 2! (Cover fee and dinner not included)(1 winner)
- Brent’s Deli Gift Card for $50 (1 winner)
- Sprouts Farmers Market Gift Card $25 (1 winner)
- Force of Nature Starter Kit so you can save money and clean your home by turning salt, water & vinegar into an all-purpose cleaner & deodorizer that’s as effective as bleach with no toxic chemicals. (1 winner)
- Signed copies of Green Enough: Eat Better, Live Cleaner, Be Happier (All Without Driving Your Family Crazy!) by Leah Segedie of Mamavation.com (2 winners)
- Beautycounter Brightening Spa Set (1 winner)
- Energybits Algae Tablets package with assorted products (1 winner)
- Femmenessence MacaHarmony supplements for hormonal balance, menstrual and reproductive health (1 winner)
- Lorna Jane Active Living Planner (1 winner)
- NOW Sports 300 Watt Premium Personal Blender (1 winner)
- Children & Environmental Toxins–What Everyone Needs to Know by Dr. Philip J. Landrigan and Mary M. Landrigan (1 winner)
- Now Sports Organic plant protein powder in creamy chocolate (1 winner)
- Neocell Beauty Infusion Cranberry Cocktail Collagen drink mix (1 winner)
- Boiron Oscillococcinum Homeopathic medicine for flu-like symptoms (1 winner)
- Tru Made Foods Vegetable Ketchup made with real veggies and 50% less sugar (1 winner)
How to Enter to Win Prizes at the #SSFL Twitter Party
To enter to win prizes for the #SSFL twitter party, make sure to complete the steps below. During the party each tweet acts as an entry, so the more you tweet using the #SSFL hashtag, the more likely you will win. So tweet away using that hashtag and good luck! But don’t forget to follow the steps below.
- Tweet this message to Gavin Newsome by clicking! Hey @GavinNewsom we NEED ur help! Save LA from nuclear contamination by ensuring the #SSFL cleanup is done at 100%! https://www.mamavation.com/activism/what-they-didnt-tell-you-about-the-woolsey-fire-in-los-angeles-can-hurt-you-rocketdyne.html Click To Tweet
- Tweet this message to encourage others to join us! Help save Los Angeles from nuclear disaster by joining the #SSFL twitter party 11/30 at 10am PST to pressure @Gavinnewsom to help! Prizes!!, https://www.mamavation.com/activism/ssfl-twitter-party-save-los-angeles-from-nuclear-contamination.html Click To Tweet
- Fill out this form here in case you win so we have your information
Hit the linky below so your friends know you are going!