Does Earth Mama Organics Sunscreen contain indications of PFAS “forever chemicals?” We sent them to the lab to find out. You’ve trusted Mamavation to bring you topics like best green beauty makeup sans PFAS, best & worst n0n-t0xic sunscreens, & best non-toxic hand creams, now join us for the results from our laboratory testing Earth Mama Organics sunscreen for indications of PFAS “forever chemicals.” Stick around at the end for a giveaway.
Disclosure: This post was medically reviewed by Sondra Strand, RN, BSN, PHN. Mamavation tested Earth Mama Organics Sunscreen in the beginning of 2022 and later in the spring, we reached out to them with their results. They were so grateful, that they donated funds to Environmental Health News and we are using those funds to test products for indications of PFAS that are not related to sunscreen or other categories they sell. Technically, this is not a sponsored post, but we wanted to let you know that they have donated to further our work here. This post contains a giveaway of $100 store credit and the lab results at the bottom of the post.
PFAS “Forever Chemicals” Are Ubiquitous Inside the Home
PFAS, otherwise known as per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (aka PFCs or perfluorinated chemicals, including PFOA and PFOS) are added to many products we purchase to make them “stain-resistant,” “grease-proof,” and “water-resistant.” In terms of food, it’s not added purposely, but more a product of trace amounts coming from manufacturing chemicals and processes. Here are some of the products you’ll find them in:
- Food packaging: they are used in popcorn bags, pizza boxes, fast food canisters & wrappers, and the flat dish on the bottom of cakes at the grocery store.
- Building Materials: They are also in carpeting, flooring, artificial turf, sealants, & roofing
- Fabrics & Clothing: used on clothing as “stain-proof” and “water-proof” agents & also other fabrics in your home like furniture. Check out our investigation on sports bras and yoga pants!
- Cookware: You can also find them on non-stick pans
- Kitchen Appliances: Some small kitchen appliances coat PFAS on surfaces to keep things from sticking like most air fryers
- Personal Care: You’ll find them in your personal care like some tooth flosses, and cosmetics
- Menstrual Products: You’ll also find them in about 65% of period underwear, according to Mamavation’s own consumer study.
- Mattresses: Even your mattress can contain PFAS chemicals but these types of mattresses do not.
- Indoor Dust: PFAS chemicals stick to dust particles so the more dust you have in your home, the more likely there is PFAS in the air you breathe. Check out our tips on how to clean this up in your home!
PFAS “Forever Chemicals” Are Linked to Problematic Health Effects
PFAS “forever chemicals” are problematic to human health and the environment. They are considered persistent, ubiquitous, and very toxic. Because they do not naturally exit the body for many months or many years and are not known to degrade in the environment, they are considered “forever chemicals.” Therefore, it’s imperative to reduce the amount of PFAS you are exposed to by food and water.
Here’s a list of health effects PFAS chemicals are linked to presently:
- reduction in immunity
- reduced vaccination response
- increased risk of allergies & asthma in young children
- affect the growth, learning, and behavior of infants and older children
- increase cholesterol levels
- metabolic diseases like obesity & diabetes
- cardiovascular disease
- lower a woman’s chance of getting pregnant
- lowers male fertility
- smaller penis size
- increase the risk of kidney & testicular cancers
- Causes endocrine disruption
- Disrupts normal thyroid function
If you feel like you’ve been exposed to PFAS, especially during pregnancy, the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, a division of Community Health Investigations has created this health advisory fact sheet to use when talking to your doctor. While regulating authorities struggle to catch up, it would be wise to limit your daily exposure to PFAS markers within food like pasta sauce or cooking oils.
Results of PFAS Organic Fluorine Marker Testing for Earth Mama Organics Sunscreen
In January of 2022, an EPA-certified laboratory conducted tests marker testing for PFAS “forever chemicals” of Earth Mama Organics Sunscreen. The specific lab method used by Mamavation tested for total fluorine by using the Determination of Total Fluorine by Oxygen Flask Combustion and Ion-Selective Electrode. If detectable total fluorine was observed at a detection level of 10ppm, the lab did the Determination of free Fluoride Ion in the oil by Ion-Selective Electrode and then subtracted that from the Total Fluorine to determine the amount of organic fluorine.
Understanding how this works is important. There are over 10,000 different PFAS chemicals in commerce, so it’s not possible to test for each one individually. In fact, tests are only available for close to 100 of these specific chemicals. So instead, we test for fluorine which is the chemical they all have in common. Organic fluorine is a marker test for PFAS “forever chemicals.” This is the same standard the food packaging industry has created to certify what is “compostable.” BPI Industries & Compost Manufacturing Alliance certifies food packaging is compostable in this way. PFAS chemicals are not a consideration in the organic standards, so this isn’t a problem you can avoid by just buying organic.
Results from Earth Mama Organics Sunscreen:
- Earth Mama Baby Organic Mineral Sunscreen Lotion 40 SPF: Non-detect organic fluorine. This means our lab did not detect any indications of PFAS.
Special Discount from Earth Mama Organics:
We reached out to Earth Mama and congratulated them on their testing results and asked about a discount code for Mamavation readers.
- Earth Mama Organics Discount: Use discount code “MAMAVATION” for 20% off regularly priced items except for travel kits.
Additional Products from Earth Mama Organics:
Sunscreens from Earth Mama Organics are certified by Oregon Tilth to the NSF/ANSI 305 standard and made from non-nano zinc oxide. In addition to their original baby sunscreen lotion, they have also introduced tinted sunscreens, which seamlessly blends right in with most skin tones. They are infused with exceptionally moisturizing and reparative organic argan oil, and organic red raspberry seed oil — which has the highest naturally-occurring SPF in the plant world.
All eight of Earth Mama’s Mineral Sunscreens received the best rating possible in EWG’s 13th annual Guide to Sunscreens and are featured in Best Daily-Use SPF, Best Recreational Sunscreens, and Best Baby & Kids Sunscreens! And recently, Uber-Sensitive Mineral Sunscreen was awarded the Seal of Acceptance™ by the National Eczema Association.
- Earth Mama Organics Tinted Mineral Sunscreen Lotion SPF 40
- Earth Mama Organics Tinted Mineral Sunscreen Lotion SPF 25
- Earth Mama Organics LadyFace Tinted Mineral Sunscreen Face Stick SPF 40
- Earth Mama Organics Baby Face Mineral Sunscreen Face Stick SPF 40
- Earth Mama Organics Kids Uber Sensitive Mineral Sunscreen Lotions SPF 40
Mamavation Earth Mama Organics Giveaway on Instagram
Earth Mama Organics is offering $100 in store credit as a giveaway on Instagram. Giveaway runs from May 31st to June 5th. Click here to enter the Instagram giveaway. You cannot enter the giveaway on Mamavation.com.