Cosmetic regulation is a big problem in America. There are about 1,328 chemicals in personal care that have been banned in Europe whereas the United States has only banned or restricted 11. The reason for this is because Europe operates under “the precautionary principle.” It means they are unlikely to allow chemicals into commerce before they have been proven safe. In this system, the burden is on the company to prove they are safe to consumers. In the United States, we take the opposite approach. We allow things in that have not been proven dangerous. Now the burden of proof is on the side of the government and consumers to prove something is a danger AFTER it’s already allowed inside. The distinction is vast. We haven’t had a significant overhaul of this system since the 1920’s when things were simpler. Bottom line, the cosmetic industry could be impacting the health of your family in a very big way.
But we also have a solution…
We have partnered with Made Safe, a nonprofit organization that seeks to solve this problem for consumers. Made Safe is America’s first comprehensive human health-focused certification to cross consumer products categories. NONTOXIC CERTIFIED means products have passed the MADE SAFE ingredient screen and gone on to be lab-tested to ensure the product is safe as a whole. For the first time, people can quickly find and purchase verified products that are safe for use on their babies, bodies, and in their homes. You can learn more about their process here. MADE SAFE means ingredients in products have been screened for the following:
- Behavioral toxins
- Developmental toxins
- Endocrine disruptors
- Fire retardants
- Heavy metals
- Pesticides / Insecticides / Herbicides
- Reproductive toxins
- Toxic solvents
- Harmful VOCs
Join us for the #MadeSafe Twitter Party on Wednesday, March 9th at 6pm PST/9pm EST to chat about safety in personal care, baby, and household products, learn strategies on how to circumvent the personal care aisle, and win some prizes from companies that are receiving the certification! As more companies come on board, you will start to see this stamp more and more on the products you buy. If this is your first time attending a Twitter Party here are some tips on what to expect.
Details of the Made Safe Twitter Party
Who: Mamavation, Made Safe & Sponsors
What: Twitter Party
When: Wednesday, March 9th
Time: 6pm PST
Panelists Joining the Made Safe Twitter Party
Giveaways for the Made Safe Twitter Party
- Just So’s Made Safe Beauty Care Gift Package (1 winner, value $54): Shea Cream, Healing Blend Lip Balm, Double Detox Castile Soap, Signature Castile Soap, Cherry Blossom Japanese Konjac Sponge, Wooden Soap Dish
- Just So’s Made Safe Soap Collection (1 winner, value $38): Skin Deep, Lavendar, Double Detox, Signature, Sea Soap, Wood Soap Dish
- Bees Wrap Gift Package (2 winners, Value $53) Assorted 3 pack , Honeycomb Sandwich Wraps, Clover Sandwich Wrap
- Rejuva Minerals Gift Package (1 winner): one 2.8 gram Natural Look Pressed Powder foundation (choice of shades), one Pur’ Lips Moisturizing lipstick in ‘Red, Red Wine’, one Buki Brush, one Mega Lash Lengthening & Thickening mascara and one $20 Gift Certificate in a USA-made cosmetic bag (choice of shades), as seen (here).
- Rejuva Minerals $10 e-Gift certificates (5 winners)
- Good Clean Love Gift Package (2 winners) 2oz Bio-Match Restore Moisturizing Personal Lubricant, one 4oz Bio-Match Balance Moisturizing Personal Wash, one 4oz Almost Naked Personal Lubricant and one all-new canvas toiletries bag
- Annmarie: Restore Essentials full size gift set (1 winner, value $159)
- Annemarie: Restore Travel Sets (2 winners, value $49)
- Sustain Come and Play packs (2 winners, value $30)
- Pura Stainless Bundles (3 winners, value $50)
- Naturepedic Organic Cotton Pillow Set (1 winner)
- Alaffia gift basket with several assorted products (1 winner, value $50)
How to Enter Giveaways
During the party, every tweet you send out enters you to win one of our giveaways provided you follow the instructions below. So the more you tweet, the more likely you will win. We want you to come, enjoy yourself, learn some new things and engage with some new brands…and win something! Sorry, US only. Please make sure to RSVP by following the 1-2-3 prompts below.
- Share about our party on two social media platforms of your choice like Twitter & Facebook
“Want safer personal care products? @MadeSafeHQ has launched! Join the party 3/9 at 6pm PST, bit.ly/216apH8 #MadeSafe”
“Want to learn more about safer products? @MadeSafeHQ has launched! Join the party 3/9 at 6pm PST, bit.ly/216apH8 #MadeSafe ”
Suggested Facebook Update:
” Did you know that 1,328 chemicals have been banned in Europe for health and safety reasons in personal care and the US has only banned or restricted 11? Don’t fret. A nonprofit called Made Safe has just launched that is lab testing products to ensure they don’t cause your family harm. Learn more about them and the brands that have signed on so far on Wednesday, March 9th at 6pm PST/9pm EST and win some prizes too! bit.ly/216apH8 ”
2. Fill out this form so we have your address if you win!
3. Hit the linky below so others know you are going to be there!