The last toxic personal care product I gave up was dry shampoo, so I get it. It’s not like you are using it every day, but there are TONS of new dry shampoo brands that work well and are non-toxic today. Therefore, you don’t need to rely on the same toxic stuff you did yesterday! You’ve trusted Mamavation to bring you topics like best & worst non-toxic shampoos, best & worst non-toxic lotions, & best & worst collagens, now join us for this investigation on dry shampoos and which ones work with the least toxic ingredients.
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.
Dry Shampoo Saves The Day When You Didn’t Wash Your Hair
Dry shampoo was the last personal care product I had in my house that was conventional. In other words, it was the last toxic product. It was used so seldomly, I didn’t feel the urgency. Then a couple of years ago, more and more brands started to come out onto the market that worked really well.
So now if you use dry shampoo to hide the fact that you didn’t shower that day, you don’t need to inhale butane and other nasties to go along with it. There are plenty of options now and scroll down to the bottom if you want to see those brands divided for you into bad, better & best brands.
The Dark Side of Dry Shampoos–Problematic Ingredients
When it comes to dry shampoos, the biggest issues revolve around the inhalation of ingredients and how that impacts indoor air quality around you and your loved ones. Why spray something on your hair that could disrupt the health of the people around you, right?
Here are some of the problematic ingredients we found in dry shampoos that we are recommending you to avoid.
- Most of the aerosol dry shampoos contain butane, propane, or isobutane, which can be contaminated with butadiene, which is a known carcinogen.
- Brands swapping the butane for tetrafluoropropene can cause skin irritation, respiratory irritation, and severe eye irritation
- Undisclosed “fragrance” or “perfume” that could be laced with phthalates and synthetic musks that are problematic to people as well. Phthalates especially are problematic because they have been classified as a hormone-disrupting chemical linked to things like weight gain, hyperactivity in children, cancers, infertility in men, and much more.
- Using mica, which can have asbestos contamination. Asbestos CAUSES cancer. (Very few things can be referred to as “causing cancer” but asbestos can because it’s directly linked to Mesothelioma.)
- Talcum powder, although it’s not supposed to have trace amounts of asbestos inside, they are still finding possible links between asbestos-free talcum powder and ovarian cancer in women.
Safer Ingredients For Dry Shampoo
Ingredients are everything when it comes to personal care products. We were disappointed at all the “natural” brands containing carcinogenic and problematic ingredients. Instead what you want to look for is safer ingredients like what you see below:
- rice starch
- baking soda
- cocoa powder
- other plant-based ingredients
- essential oils
- natural fragrances from botanicals
Small Biz Feature–Mamavation’s Featured Dry Shampoo
This month, Mamavation is featuring a dry shampoo product from Morrocco Method International. Morrocco Method has been around for 50 years selling raw, vegan, and Paleo hair care. All their products are sulfate-free, gluten-free, and free of synthetic chemicals. Here’s the claims for the product:
- Combines clays, minerals, and botanicals from around the world to draw out impurities from the roots and follicles while also protecting the scalp’s natural oils.
- Bentonite clay helps absorb excess oils and gives your hair an added boost of volume.
- Aloe vera and prickly pear powder deliver essential vitamins and antioxidants to seal in moisture, fight breakouts, and balance pH levels to keep hair shiny and healthy.
- Formulation assists in reversing chemical damage caused by synthetic shampoos, giving hair a natural glow without leaving a dusty residue.
- Thin layer of volcanic powder coats the strands, protecting against smog, sun, and wind damage.
INGREDIENTS: Montmorillonite, Bentonite, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Powder, Emblica Officinalis (Amla) Fruit Powder, Opuntia Ficus-Indica (Prickly Pear) Powder, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Powder, Arrowroot, Basil, Bladderwrack, Burdock Root, Cardamom, Charcoal, Chlorella, Dandelion, Fennel, Gingko, Kelp, Marshmallow, Myrrh, Peppermint, Rosemary, Sage, Shavegrass (Horsetail), Thyme, Turmeric
SALE FOR JANUARY: try the Volcano Powder Dry Shampoo from Morrocco Method and save 15% off sitewide using discount code “mamavation” at checkout.
Mamavation’s Investigation of Dry Shampoo
Mamavation investigated over 150+ dry shampoo products available in the United States & Canada for hormone-disrupting chemicals.
Not Our Favorite Dry Shampoos
These shampoos contain a form of butane, which can be contaminated with butadiene, which is a carcinogen. Most of them also include undisclosed “fragrance” and other such ingredients we deemed not worthy of Mamavation fans. We looked closely at indoor air quality and found that these brands would likely disrupt indoor air based on the ingredients they are using.
- Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo
- Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo Limited Edition HairToStay
- Amika Phantom Hydrating Dry Shampoo Foam
- Aussie Clean Volume Dry Shampoo
- Aussie Clean Texture Dry Shampoo
- Batiste De-Frizzing Dry Shampoo
- Batiste Dry Shampoo Blush
- Batiste Dry Shampoo Brilliant Blonde
- Batiste Dry Shampoo Cherry
- Batiste Dry Shampoo Clean & Light Bare
- Batiste Dry Shampoo Divine Dark
- Batiste Dry Shampoo Nice
- Batiste Dry Shampoo Original
- Batiste Hydrating Dry Shampoo
- Batiste Volumizing Dry Shampoo
- Batiste Waterless Cleansing Foam Almond Oil
- Batiste Waterless Cleansing Foam Cactus Water
- Batiste Waterless Cleansing Foam Coconut Milk
- Batiste Waterless Cleansing Foam Hibiscus Root
- Colab Paradise Dry Shampoo
- Davines Hair Refresher Dry Cleansing Mist
- Dove Care Between Washes Brunette Dry Shampoo
- Dove Care Between Washes Clarifying Dry Shampoo
- Dove Care Between Washes Go Active Dry Shampoo
- Dove Detox and Purify Dry Shampoo
- Dove Foam Dry Shampoo
- Dove Fresh and Floral Dry Shampoo
- Dove Fresh Coconut Dry Shampoo
- Dove Invisible Dry Shampoo
- Dove Ultra Clean Dry Shampoo
- Dove Unscented Dry Shampoo
- Dove Volume and Fullness Dry Shampoo
- Drybar Detox Brunettes Dry Shampoo
- Drybar Detox Clear Invisible Dry Shampoo
- Drybar Detox Coconut Colada Dry Shampoo
- Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo Bubbles & Berries
- Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo Grapefruit Mimosa
- Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo Original Scent
- Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo Sangria Spritzer
- Drybar Detox Lush Scent
- Freeman Psssst! Nourish Dry Shampoo Coconut
- Freeman Psssst! Nourish Dry Shampoo Sugar Berry
- Freeman Psssst! Nourish Dry Shampoo Tropical
- Freeman Psssst! Unscented
- Freeman Psssst! Volume Dry Shampoo Citrus
- Freeman Psssst! Nourish Dry Shampoo Fruity Floral
- Garnier Fructis Invisible Dry Shampoo Melon-tini
- Garnier Fructis Invisible Dry Shampoo Coco-Colada
- Garnier Fructis Invisible Dry Shampoo Mint Mojito
- Hask Charcoal Purifying Dry Shampoo
- Hask Chia Seed Volumizing Dry Shampoo
- Healium Hair Dry Shampoo
- Klorane Detox Dry Shampoo with Aquatic Mint
- Klorane Dry Shampoo With Nettle
- Klorane Dry Shampoo with Nettle Dark Hair
- Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk
- Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk Dark Hair
- L’ange DejaVu Dry Shampoo
- L’ange Style Revival Super Dry Shampoo
- Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo
- Monat Studio One The Champ Conditioning Dry Shampoo
- Moroccanoil Dry Shampoo Dark Tones
- Moroccanoil Dry Shampoo Light Tones
- Nexxus Refreshing Dry Shampoo
- Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Dry Shampoo
- Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo Original
- Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Tapioca Dry Shampoo
- Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Tinted Dry Shampoo Dark
- Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Tinted Dry Shampoo Medium
- Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak UNSCENTED Dry Shampoo
- Not Your Mother’s Plump For Joy Body Building Dry Shampoo
- Ogx Argan Oil of Morocco Extra Strength Dry Shampoo
- Oribe Gold Lust Dry Shampoo
- Pulp Riot Berlin Dry Shampoo
- Pureology Style + Protect Refresh & Go Dry Shampoo
- R+Co Badlands Dry Shampoo Paste
- R+Co Death Valley Dry Shampoo
- R+Co Skyline Dry Shampoo Powder
- R+Co Spiritualized Dry Shampoo Mist
- SGX NYC Dry-Touch Volumizing Dry Shampoo
- TRESemme Between Washes Basic Care Dry Shampoo for Oily Hair
- TRESemme Brunette Clean Paraben Free Dry Shampoo
- TRESemme Fresh & Clean Dry Shampoo
- TRESemme Pro Pure Clean Sulfate-Free Dry Shampoo with Tapioca Cleanser
- TRESemme Volume Clean Paraben Free Dry Shampoo
- Waterless No Residue Dry Shampoo
Better Dry Shampoos
These dry shampoos were better, but not perfect. They did not contain butane but did contain things like undisclosed fragrance, potentially asbestos-contaminated mica, or other things that would make them better but less than perfect.
- Bari Naturals Powdered Dry Shampoo Cocoa for Dark Hair
- Bari Naturals Powdered Dry Shampoo Hibiscus for Red Hair
- Bari Naturals Powdered Dry Shampoo Mica for Light Hair
- Dove Care Between Washes Go Active Dry Shampoo Wipes
- Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk (Non-Aerosol one)
- L’ange Stardust Dry Shampoo Powder (Non-Aerosol one)
- Love Beauty & Planet Coconut Water Dry Shampoo
- Love Beauty & Planet Muru Muru Dry Shampoo
- Prose Custom Dry Shampoo
- Raw Sugar Volume Dry Shampoo
- Yuni Invisible Dry Cleaner Texturizing Dry Shampoo
Best Dry Shampoos
These brands were the safest by far! They did not contain any form of butane or undisclosed fragrances. They contain the ingredients we approved above for both light and dark hair.
- Acure Dry Shampoo All Hair Types
- Acure Dry Shampoo Brunette to Dark Hair
- Be Green Bath & Body Herbal Dry Shampoo
- Beauty By Earth Dry Shampoo & Volume Powder for Blonde and Light Hair Colors
- Beauty By Earth Dry Shampoo & Volume Powder for Dark and Red Hair Colors
- Captain Blankenship Mermaid Dry Shampoo
- Chagrin Valley Dry Shampoo Dark Hair Citrus Mint
- Chagrin Valley Dry Shampoo Dark Hair Lavender Rosemary
- Chagrin Valley Dry Shampoo Light Hair Citrus Mint
- Chagrin Valley Dry Shampoo Light Hair Lavender Rosemary
- Fat and the Moon Balance Shampoo Powder
- Fat and The Moon Stimulate Shampoo Powder
- Fat and The Moon Lavender and Cocoa Dry Shampoo
- Franklin & Whitman East Falls Dry Shampoo Dark Hair
- Franklin & Whitman East Falls Dry Shampoo Light Hair
- Franklin & Whitman Spring Garden Dry Shampoo Dark Hair
- Franklin & Whitman Spring Garden Dry Shampoo Light Hair
- Hair Dance Dry Shampoo Volume Powder
- Handmade Heroes Drop Dead Gorgeous Dry Shampoo for Light Hair
- Handmade Heroes Drop Dead Gorgeous Dry Shampoo for Medium to Dark Hair
- Lark + Owl Dry Shampoo Black
- Lark + Owl Dry Shampoo Blonde
- Lark + Owl Dry Shampoo Brunette
- Lemongrass Spa Dry Shampoo
- Lulu Organics Hair Powder Dry Shampoo Unscented
- Lulu Organics Hair Powder Dry Shampoo
- Moon Cheeks After A While Crocodile Dry Shampoo Spray
- Morrocco Method Volcanic Powder Dry Shampoo (link direct to small biz, take 15% off by using “mamavation” )
- Primally Pure Natural Dry Shampoo (Dark Locks) (link direct to small biz, take 10% off by using “Mamavation” at checkout)
- Primally Pure Natural Dry Shampoo (Light Locks) (link direct to small biz, take 10% off by using “Mamavation” at checkout)
- Pure Haven Dry Shampoo
- Rahua Voluminous Dry Shampoo
- Rowe Casa Organics All-Natural Dry Shampoo Dark
- Rowe Casa Organics All-Natural Dry Shampoo Light
- Rowe Casa Organics All-Natural Dry Shampoo Medium
- Wellnesse Revitalizing Dry Shampoo Darker Hair
- Wellnesse Revitalizing Dry Shampoo for All Hair Types
About the Author
Leah Segedie is a consumer watchdog, author, entrepreneur, environmental activist, and mother of three boys.
She wrote Green Enough: Eat Better, Live Cleaner, & Be Happier (All Without Driving Your Family Crazy!) in 2018. She’s consistently been featured in the media for the past 15 years in media outlets like ABC, CBS, CNN, Yahoo, Chicago Tribune, USA Today, Reader’s Digest, Ladies Home Journal, Shape Magazine, Fitness Magazine to name a few.
Did you like this post? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and don’t miss another investigation!