Should or should you not use fluoride in your toothpaste? The answer may surprise you. We reached out to our experts who are highly respected in their fields to help you navigate this and ranked all the brands accordingly. You’ve trusted Mamavation to bring you topics like the best non-toxic shampoo, best non-toxic sunscreens, & best non-toxic deodorants, now join us for the best & worst non-toxic toothpaste & tooth powder brands with or without fluoride.
Disclosure: This post was medically reviewed by Sondra Strand, RN, BSN, PHN. It also contains affiliate links.
Fluoride–Should It Be Used Inside Toothpaste or Drinking Water?
The topic of fluoride is confusing and everyone seems to have a very strong opinion about it. Especially after May of 2020 when a group of 25 scientists published a meta-analysis on all the studies that have been done on fluoride thus far. The scientists stated very clearly that “fluoride is a human developmental neurotoxicant that reduces measures of intelligence in children, placing it into the same category as toxic metals (lead, methylmercury, arsenic) and polychlorinated biphenyls.”
Prior to that, in 2019, a group of 512 Canadian pregnant mothers and their children were studied and IQ tests were taken of the children at 3 to 4 years of age. The tests demonstrated that levels of fluoride present in drinking water had potentially robbed the children of 3 to 4 IQ points. These findings indicate the need to reduce fluoride intake in tap water during pregnancy.
The evidence of fluorinated drinking water stealing IQ points from American children continues to mount. However, every time a new study comes out, it seems as if the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) doubles down on its support of the benefits of fluoride in drinking water, toothpaste, and dental treatments as a way to deliver cavity prevention to children. Our advisors do not believe that fluoride in drinking water is wise. However, their opinion of fluoride in toothpaste and dental treatments is positive. This idea in general is incredibly controversial in the scientific and medical world. As explained in the video below, the AAP is trading several IQ points for essentially ONE cavity.
What the Experts on Hormone Disruption in Children Say About Toothpaste & Fluoride
So what about toothpaste and tooth products? It’s a totally different exposure level, so we had questions.
We reached out to Dr. Leo Trasande, Director of Environmental Pediatrics at the New York University Grossman School of Medicine, and one of our pediatric advisors. Dr. Trasande has been very active in warning parents about the problems behind hormone-disrupting chemicals. In his book, Sicker, Fatter, Poorer Trasande reveals the alarming truth about hormone-disrupting chemicals effect on our daily lives–and what we can do to protect ourselves and fight back. Because of his unique position with one foot in the medical world and one foot in the activist world, we felt he was uniquely positioned to advise us on this issue.
His response may be surprising for some of us, but it is logical and makes sense. Protecting children from the perils of cavities, which can result in the creation of other chronic diseases down the road, he supports the use of fluoride in toothpaste and dental treatments. However, he believes using fluoride in water is another issue that can be problematic because it’s ingested. In terms of toothpaste, you are spitting most of it out and getting very little exposure. This is where he says that fluoride has a legitimate use in toothpaste as a chemical that can prevent worse things down the road.
We also reached out to Dr. Bruce Lanphear, MD, MPH, who’s a Clinician Scientist and Medical Doctor at the Child & Family Research Institute, BC Children’s Hospital. He’s also a Professor in the Faculty of Health Sciences at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, British Columbia and is well versed on the perils of fluoride and children. In fact, he was called as a witness to testify at the TSCA fluoride trial against the EPA and continues to be an expert on fluoride and exposure to children. He had a very similar take on fluoride in toothpaste as Dr. Leo Trasande and felt it was problematic in water, but not so problematic in toothpaste. The reasoning behind that is it’s more of a nuanced issue and the exposure levels are just nowhere as high as you would find in things like drinking water.
Bottom line: both of them seemed to think that fluoride was not as much of a problem in toothpaste as it is in drinking water.
Irony: Most Fluoride-Adding Toothpastes Were Not “Best” Anyways
Unfortunately, when we evaluated toothpaste ingredients in most of the 275+ toothpaste and toothpowder products, we didn’t find very many with fluoride that also avoided the other problematic ingredients. In other words, most of the brands using natural ingredients are already avoiding fluoride.
So ultimately what we have decided to do is mark toothpaste products clearly in the investigation in bold so that you know which ones contain fluoride and which ones do not so you to make up your own mind. So if you want the best fluoride-free toothpastes, you’ll find plenty.
Also, since toothpaste is a product that is mostly not ingested because it is spit out, we feel that the better & best categories would suffice just fine for both adults and children.
Other Problematic Ingredients Found in Toothpaste
After looking through the ingredients in over 275+ toothpaste products, we spotted some trends with other problematic ingredients that we wanted to alert you to. Here is a list of ingredients that have been linked to cancer, hormone disruption, are problematic to wildlife, or have other types of issues.
- Titanium Dioxide: Meta-analysis of nano-based titanium dioxide (which is the most common form) is appeared to be linked to oxidative stress, histopathological alterations, carcinogenesis, genotoxicity, and immune disruption.
- Sodium Laurel Sulfate (SLS) or Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate: SLS is a surfactant that depending on the manufacturing process, can be contaminated with ethylene oxide and 1,4-dioxane, both carcinogens. Sodium lauroyl sarcosinate can be contaminated with nitrosamines and is restricted in Japan and viewed as an environmental toxicant by Canada.
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEGs): a mixture of petroleum-based polymers that have been bonded together and turned into sticky emollients and penetration enhancers. Sadly, these chemicals compounds have issues with contamination of ethylene oxide, 1,4-dioxane, polycyclic aromatic compounds, and heavy metals and many of these impurities are linked to cancer.
- Parabens: typically work as artificial preservatives in products to kill bacteria that are linked to hormone disruption in the body, can potentially harm fertility and reproductive organs, affect birth outcomes, and increase the risk of cancer.
- Sodium Hydroxide: Also known as caustic soda and lye, but is a manufactured chemical. There have been reports of cancer of the esophagus. Most of the time, you are exposed to this chemical at higher levels through cleaning products. FDA allows sodium hydroxide into food products at no higher than 1%. Prolonged contact with skin can cause serious irritation, has a destructive effect upon skin cells and can aggravate pre-existing skin disorders. This is a lower concern as toothpaste because you are spitting, but another reason to remember to spit! However, a small amount will always coat your throat.
- Artificial Colors: Chemical substances based on petroleum that makes colors more vibrant have been linked to hyperactivity in children and cancers.
- Propylene Glycol: This controversial chemical increases the amount of acid in the body and is approved by the FDA as “generally recognized as safe” (GRAS) for use as a food additive. It is used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in cosmetics and as a solvent for food colors & flavors, so part of the artificial flavors group. However, this chemical is downright dangerous to those suffering from kidney and liver disease and will cause toxic effects. Pregnant women and children under the age of 5 are also at risk because they have lower levels of an enzyme known as alcohol dehydrogenase, which is needed to break it down and remove it from the body.
- Nano Hydroxyapatite or Nano Silver: Nanoparticles are problematic in general because they are unpredictable and like to congregate around internal organs. Due to their size, these particles can readily penetrate the body and cells through various routes. Nano hydroxyapatite is a needle-shaped, nano version that is alarming some health experts in the European Union. Because of its unique properties and behaviors, which are unknown, it could be harmful in oral health products. Nano-silver has unique antibacterial properties that have been hailed as a breakthrough germ-killing agent, however preliminary research on rats has found that silver nanoparticles can traverse into the brain, and can induce degeneration and necrosis by accumulating in the brain over a long period of time.
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine: this chemical is a surfactant, which means that it interacts with water to make molecules more slippery so they don’t stick together. It lathers up the dirt and grime and as you spit it down the drain. However, in 2004, the American Contact Dermatitis Society declared it the “Allergen of the Year” because of reactions reported all over the US. It is an irritant, and it can cause tightness, redness, or itchiness when used as a product additive.
Mamavation Finds Indications of PFAS “Forever Chemicals” Inside Popular Dental Flosses
Which brands of tooth floss are the safest for families to use on a routine basis for oral care? Mamavation tested 39 dental floss products at an EPA-certified laboratory looking for indications of PFAS “forever chemicals” and got a concerning glimpse of how many very popular products could be contaminating consumers in a way they had not realized. 33% of dental floss products sent to our EPA-certified laboratory had indications of PFAS “forever chemicals,” while 67% of products did not. In other words, 13 out of 39 products had indications of PFAS. Click here to see more details on other brands tested.
Here are some of the brands we can recommend:
- Bambo Earth Pure Silk Eco Floss Mint Flavored — non-detect organic fluorine
- Boka Ela Mint Floss — non-detect organic fluorine
- Cocofloss Delicious Mint — non-detect organic fluorine (Use “MAMAVATION15” for 15% off your order. This brand has also introduced a reusable flosser for kids too!)
- Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Dental Floss — non-detect organic fluorine
- Etee Plastic Free Biodegradable Silk Waxed Floss Mint Flavor — non-detect organic fluorine
- Public Goods Tooth Floss — non-detect organic fluorine
- Smart Life Company Straw Wheat Floss Picks — non-detect organic fluorine
- The Humble Co. Plant-Based Materials Floss Picks — non-detect organic fluorine
- Thrive Market Gentle Tape Floss Tea Tree Mint — non-detect organic fluorine
- Tom’s of Maine Naturally Waxed Antiplaque flat floss — non-detect organic fluorine
- Wowe Silk Floss Natural Mint — non-detect organic fluorine
Mamavation’s Investigation of Toothpaste & Tooth Powder Products
Mamavation identified 275+ different toothpaste products, including toothpaste and tooth powders, to include in this investigation. Because some natural-minded parents are more critical of fluoride, we made sure to clearly mark which products had fluoride and which ones did not to make this easy for you based on the direction of our advisors. If you are looking for more eco-friendly products, we have also included tooth powder oral care. Sadly, several products recommended by the American Dental Association made our “not our favorite” list. Mamavation has recently sent over 40+ tubes of toothpaste to the laboratory so we will be able to tell you how much fluoride your toothpaste contains.
Not Our Favorite Toothpaste & Tooth Powder Products
These dental products contained the worst ingredients we found in over 275+ products that we ranked. In this group you’ll find some of the following ingredients in excess to avoid tooth decay: parabens, PEGs, Sodium Laurel Sulfate (SLS), Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, artificial colors, artificial sweeteners, sodium hydroxide, & nano-titanium dioxide. Most brands that were in this list had several problematic ingredients, so we put the ones here who had the worst.
- Activ-8 Activated Charcoal Toothpaste
- Aim Kids Mega Bubble Berry Toothpaste Gel*
- Aim Multi Benefit Cavity Protection Gel*
- Amway Glister Toothpaste*
- Aquafresh Kids 2+ Bubble Mint Toothpaste
- Aquafresh Training Flouride-Free 2-24 Months Toothpaste
- Aquafresh Extreme Clean Pure Breath Action Toothpaste
- Arm & Hammer Essentials Fluoride-Free Toothpaste Whiten + Activated Charcoal
- Arm & Hammer Complete Care Toothpaste
- Avon Whitening Essentials Toothpaste Blanc Charcoal Fresh Mint*
- Colgate Optic White Toothpaste*
- Colgate Sensitive Toothpaste*
- Colgate UltraBrite Toothpaste*
- Crest ProHealth Complete Toothpaste
- Crest Gum Detoxify Deep Clean Toothpaste
- Crest ProHealth Enamel Toothpaste
- HEB Fresh Mint Sensitive Toothpaste*
- HEB Kid’s Cavity Protection Watermelon Mint Fluoride Toothpaste*
- Life Extension Toothpaste Mint
- LunaMoon Activated Charcoal Teeth Whitening Powder
- NU Skin AP 24 Whitening Fluoride Free Toothpaste
- Paradontax Clean Mint Fluoride Anticavity Toothpaste*
- Pepsodent Complete Care Original Flavor
- Sensodyne True White Extra Fresh (SLS-Free) Toothpaste*
- Sensodyne Full Protection (SLS-Free) Toothpaste*
- Signal Complete 8 Nature Elements Toothpaste with Baking Soda, Rosemary & Mint
- Signal Sensitive Expert Original Toothpaste
- Urban Retreat Diamond Lustre Tooth Cream (formerly Acti-Labs)*
Better Toothpaste & Tooth Powder Products
These products were light years better than the other category but still had some problems. We found the following ingredients in these brands but not as prevalent as the other category: nano-titanium dioxide, propylene glycol, nano-hydroxyapatite, nano-silver, cocamidopropyl betaine, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, sodium hydroxide, nitrites, or an excessive level of preservatives. We allowed products with fluoride in this category, however, fluoride products are clearly labeled in bold with a *. We’ve also identified the toothpaste and tooth powders that self-identify as “gluten-free.”
- Apagard Premio Fluoride Free Toothpaste
- AutoBrush Kids Bubblegum Foam Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- AutoBrush Kids Bubblegum Foam Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Bite Activated Charcoal Toothpaste Bits (zero waste)(Gluten-Free)
- Bite Mint Naturally Whitening Toothpaste Bits (zero waste)(Gluten-Free)
- Boka Ela Mint Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Boka Coco Ginger Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Brushd Peppermint Fluoride Free Toothpaste Tablets
- BurstKids Strawberry Superstar Fluoride Free Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Burt’s Bees Kids Fruit Fusion Toothpaste Fluoride-Free
- Burt’s Bees Kids Fruit Fusion Toothpaste With Fluoride*
- Burt’s Bees Purely White Zen Peppermint Toothpaste Fluoride-Free
- Coral White Nano Silver Mint Fluoride Free Toothpaste
- Dentalcidin™ Toothpaste – Broad Spectrum Toothpaste with Biocidin® (Gluten-Free)
- Desert Essence Tutti Frutti Toothpaste Gel (Gluten-Free)
- Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Whitening Plus Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Desert Essence Prebiotic Plant-Based Toothpaste Gingermint (Gluten-Free)
- Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil & Neem Wintergreen Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Ultra Care Toothpaste Mega Mint (Gluten-Free)
- Desert Essence Aloe & Tea Tree Oil Toothpaste Peppermint Carrageenan Free (Gluten-Free)
- Desert Essence Coconut Oil Toothpaste Coconut Mint
- dōTERRA On Guard® Natural Whitening Toothpaste
- Dr. Ginger’s Coconut Oil Toothpaste with White Charcoal
- Dr. Ginger’s Coconut Oil Toothpaste
- Dr. Ginger’s Coconut Powder Toothpaste Tablets
- Dr. Organic Activated Charcoal Extra Whitening Toothpaste*
- Dr. Organic Aloe Vera Whitening Toothpaste*
- Dr. Organic Tea Tree Purifying Toothpaste*
- ECODENTA Certified COSMOS ORGANIC Juicy Fruit kids toothpaste
- ECODENTA Certified COSMOS ORGANIC Whitening toothpaste with papaya extract*
- Etee Minty Vanilla Chewpaste Fluoride-Free
- Etee Minty Vanilla Chewpaste With Fluoride*
- Hello Antiplaque + Whitening Fluoride-Free Toothpaste Peppermint (Gluten-Free)
- Hello Kids Fluoride-Free Toothpaste Natural Watermelon (Gluten-Free)
- Hello Kids Fluoride-Free Toothpaste Natural Apple (Gluten-Free)
- Hello Kids Unicorn Sparkle Bubble Gum with Fluoride Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)*
- Hello Kids Dragon Dazzle Blue Rasberry Fluoride Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)*
- Hello Kids Juicy Anticavity Toothpaste Gluten Free with Fluoride in Grape (Gluten-Free)*
- Hello Kids Natural Wild Strawberry Toothpaste with Fluoride (Gluten-Free)*
- Hello Whitening with Activated Charcoal Fluoride Free Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Hello Toothpaste Tablets Fluoride Free Watermelon (Gluten-Free)
- Jason Total Protection Turmeric & Ginger Sensitive Flouride-Free Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Kiss My Face Kids Berry Smart Gel Fluoride Free Toothpaste
- Kiss My Face Kids Berry Smart Gel with Fluoride Toothpaste*
- Kiss My Face Sensitive Citrus Mint Gel Fluoride Free Toothpaste
- Melaleuca Whitening Tooth Polish Fresh Mint without Fluoride
- MI Paste
- MI Paste Plus*
- Moon CHARCOAL WHITENING TOOTHPASTE FLUORIDE-FREE Lunar Peppermint
- Moon Whitening Toothpaste With Fluoride*
- My Magic Mud CBD Hemp Oil Chill Mint Fluoride Free Toothpaste
- My Magic Mud Peppermint Charcoal Fluoride Free Toothpaste
- Native Fluoride Free Charcoal with Mint Toothpaste
- Nelson Naturals Zero Waste Toothpaste
- Lysere™ Probiotic Whitening Toothpaste, mint
- Oral Essentials Lumineux Strawberry Kid’s Formula Toothpaste
- Oral Essentials Lumineux Whitening Toothpaste
- Oral Essential Lumineux Clean & Fresh Toothpaste Plaque Control
- Primal Life Organics Dirty Mouth Alkalizing Toothpaste Bubblegum (Gluten-Free)
- Primal Life Organics Dirty Mouth Alkalizing Toothpaste Peppermint (Gluten-Free)
- Primal Life Organics Dirty Mouth Alkalizing Toothpaste Black Spearmint (Gluten-Free)
- Quip Anticavity Fluoride Toothpaste (Mint or Watermelon)*
- Redmond Earthpaste Silver Cinnamon (Gluten-Free)
- Redmond Earthpaste Silver Peppermint with Activated Charcoal (Gluten-Free)
- Redmond Earthpaste Silver Spearmint Unsweetened (Gluten-Free)
- SilicaMed Black Whitening Organic Toothpaste
- Simple Truth® Plaque Removing & Whitening Toothpaste Peppermint
- Snow Whitening Toothpaste Morning Frost
- Spry Toothpaste Fluoride-Free Peppermint
- Squigle Enamel Saver Toothpaste*
- Tanner’s Tasty Paste Vanilla Bling*
- Tanner’s Tasty Paste Baby Bling Vanilla Ice Cream Fluoride Free
- Tea Tree Therapy Tea Tree Toothpaste with Baking Soda
- Tea Tree Therapy Whitening Toothpaste with Tea Tree Oil
- The Humble Co Toothpaste Tablets Fluoride Free Mint
- The Natural Dentist All In One Fluoride Toothpaste*
- The Natural Dentist Healthy Gums Fluoride Free Toothpaste
- Theodent Classic Toothpaste Whitening Crystal Mint (Gluten-Free)
- Theodent Kids Toothpaste Whitening Chocolate Chip (Gluten-Free)
- Therabreath Fresh Breath Mild Mint Toothpaste*
- Therabreath Charcoal Whitening + Fresh Breath Midnight Mint Toothpaste
- Tom’s Fluoride Kid’s Toothpaste Silly Strawberry*
- Tom’s Fluoride-Free Botanically Bright Peppermint Toothpaste
- Tom’s Fluoride-Free Propolis & Myrrh Fennel (Carageenan Free)
- Tom’s Toddler Fluoride-Free Training Toothpaste
- Twice Invigorating Wintergreen & Peppermint Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)*
- Twice Calming Vanilla Lavender Mint Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)*
- Uncle Harry’s Cinnamon Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Uncle Harry’s Peppermint Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Unpaste Tooth Tabs Fluoride-Free
- Unpaste Tooth Tabs with Fluoride*
- Vita-Myr Children’s Zinc-Plus Herbal Toothpaste Natural Orange (Gluten-Free)
- Vita-Myr Original Zinc-Plus Herbal Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- White Birch Activated White Charcoal Whitening Toothpaste Fresh Mint (Gluten-Free)
- 365 by Whole Foods Market Peppermint Fluoride-Free Toothpaste
- 365 by Whole Foods Market Kid’s Toothpaste Strawberry with Fluoride
Best Toothpaste & Tooth Powder Products
This category represents the best products with the best ingredients. We allowed products with fluoride in this category provided they didn’t have other excessive junk ingredients called out in this post. However, fluoride products are clearly labeled in bold with a * and down below. We’ve also identified the toothpaste and tooth powders that self-identify as “gluten-free.”
Toothpaste without Fluoride:
- Active Wow 24K White Activated Coconut Teeth Whitening Charcoal Powder
- ArtNaturals Teeth Whitening Activated Charcoal Powder
- Auromere Foam-Free Cardamom-Fennel Ayurvedic Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Auromere Mint-Free Ayurvedic Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Auromere Zero Waste Fresh Mint (in a jar) (Gluten-Free)
- BALM! Baby Tooth Paste All Natural Fluoride Free Glass Jar in Fresh Mint (Gluten-Free)(Glass packaging)
- Banyan Botanicals Tooth Powder with Alamaki Charcoal Cinnamon Clove (Gluten-Free)
- Banyan Botanicals Tooth Powder with Charcoal & Miswak Cardamom Mint (Gluten-Free)
- Bee-Och Organics Natural Tooth Powder (Spearmint, Cinnamon, or Orange)
- BeNat All Natural Tooth Powder
- Body Food Tooth Salt
- Burst Natural Fluoride Free Wild Mint Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Burt’s Bees Activated Charcoal Coconut Charcoal Powder
- Burt’s Bees Charcoal + Whitening Zen Peppermint Toothpaste Fluoride-Free
- Chomp Super Whitening Toothpaste Tablets
- Christopher’s Original Formulas Herbal Tooth & Gum Powder
- Crush & Brush Toothpaste Tablets Mint (Gluten-Free)
- Crush & Brush Toothpaste Tablets Mint Charcoal (Gluten-Free)
- Dentabs Kids Strawberry Toothpaste
- Dentabs Tablets Mint
- Dirt Don’t Hurt Brighten + Detoxify Tooth Powder
- Dr. Brite Extreme Whitening Toothpaste Mint With Activated Charcoal
- Dr. Brite Healthy Smile Toothpaste Coconut Chai With Hempseed Oil
- Dr. Brite Kids Antiplaque Toothpaste Berrylicious Vitamin C Infused
- Dr. Brite Kids Healthy Smile Toothpaste Chocolate Mint
- Dr. Brite Sensitivity Relief Toothpaste Mint with Chamomile Extract
- Dr. Bronner’s Anise All-One Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Dr. Bronner’s Cinnamon All-One Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint All-One Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Dr. Bronner’s Spearmint All-One Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Dr. Ginger’s Activated White Charcoal Tooth Powder
- Dr. Sheffield’s Kid’s Mixed Berry Toothpaste
- Dr. Sheffield’s Natural Activated Charcoal Toothpaste
- Dr. Sheffield’s Natural Peppermint Toothpaste
- Dr. Sheffield’s Kid’s Chocolate Toothpaste
- Earthley Remineralizing Tooth Powder Lemon Berry (Use coupon code “MAMAVATION” for 10% off this product, links to small biz, not Amazon)
- Earthley Remineralizing Tooth Powder Mint (Use coupon code “MAMAVATION” for 10% off this product, links to small biz, not Amazon)
- Eco-Dent DailyCare Toothpowder Original Mint
- Eco-Dent Extrabrite Baking Soda Toothpowder Dazzling Mint
- ECODENTA Certified COSMOS ORGANIC Sensitivity relief toothpaste with salt
- ECODENTA Certified Organic Multifunctional toothpaste with hemp seed oil
- Essential Oxygen BR Brushing Rinse (part of 3-product protocol) (Gluten-Free)
- Essential Oxygen BR On-Demand Tooth Polish (part of 3-product protocol) (Gluten-Free)
- Essential Oxygen BR Organic Toothpaste (part of a 3-product protocol) (Gluten-Free)
- Frau Fowler Mouth Medic Tooth & Gum Powder (Gluten-Free)
- Frau Fowler Power Mint Tooth & Gum Powder (Gluten-Free)
- Gaia Smiles Activated Charcoal Tooth Powder
- Gaia Smiles Original Tooth Powder
- Gaia Smiles Peppermint Tooth Powder
- Georganics Mineral Toothpaste Activated Charcoal (Gluten-Free)
- Georganics Toothpaste Powder Orange (Gluten-Free)
- Georganics Toothpaste Powder Spearmint
- Georganics Toothpaste Tablets English Peppermint (Gluten-Free)
- Good Organics Peppermint Toothpaste Tablets
- Green Beaver Natural Toothpaste Sensitive Teeth Fresh Mint (Gluten-Free)
- Green Beaver Natural Toothpaste Star Anise (Gluten-Free)
- Green Beaver Natural Toothpaste Zesty Orange (Gluten-Free)
- Green Beaver Naturapeutic Toothpaste Sensitive Fresh Mint (Gluten-Free)
- Happy Tabs Toothpaste Tablets Mint
- Happy Tooth Powder
- Happy Toothpaste
- Hello Nakedpaste Fluoride Free Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Himalaya Botanique Kids Bubblegum Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Himalaya Botanique Whitening Complete Care Toothpaste Simply Mint (Gluten-Free)
- Isabella’s Clearly Mint Remineralizing Tooth Powder
- Jack N’ Jill Natural Toothpaste Flavor Free
- Jack N’ Jill Natural Toothpaste Bubblegum (Gluten-Free)
- Jack N’ Jill Natural Toothpaste Strawberry (Gluten-Free)
- Jason Kid’s Only Strawberry Toothpaste
- Jason Powersmile Whitening Paste Powerful Peppermint
- Jason Sea Fresh Strengthening Paste Fluoride-Free
- Just the Goods Vegan Tooth Oil/Tooth Drops
- One Living Earth Black Pearl Teeth Whitening Powder
- Lush DIRTY Toothy Tabs
- Masik Toothpaste (Two flavors Mint OR Lemongrass)
- Miessence Mint Toothpaste
- Modere Toothpaste Refresh
- My Magic Mud Original Charcoal Tooth Powder
- My Magic Mud Turmeric Spearmint Antioxidant Tooth Powder
- My Magic Mud Whitening Tooth Powder Peppermint
- My Magic Mud Activated Charcoal Wintergreen Toothpaste
- Nature’s Answer PerioBrite Coolmint Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Now Solutions XyliWhite™ Neem & Tea Tree Toothpaste Gel (Gluten-Free)
- Now Solutions XyliWhite™ Orange Splash Toothpaste Gel for Kids (Gluten-Free)
- Olivia Care Activated Charcoal Tooth Polish
- Olivia Care Tooth Polish Whitening Powder
- OraWellness Shine Remineralizing Tooth Powder Cinnamon
- OraWellness Shine Remineralizing Tooth Powder Mint
- Poofy Organics Happy Teeth Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Poof Organics Cheery Cherry Toddler (Gluten-Free)
- Pretty Frank Mineral Toothpaste Powder Mint
- Pretty Frank Toothpaste Powder Charcoal Mint
- Primal Life Organics Dirty Mouth Tooth Powder Black Peppermint (Gluten-Free)
- Primal Life Organics Dirty Mouth Tooth Powder Cinnamon (Gluten-Free)
- Primal Life Organics Tooth Powder Kids Cool Orange (Gluten-Free)
- Pure Haven Charcoal Toothpaste with Prebiotics Peppermint Cinnamon Clove
- Pure Haven Kids Toothpaste Vanilla Sweet Orange
- Pure Haven Toothpaste Aloe Peppermint Cinnamon Clove
- Radius Kids Organic Toothpaste Coconut Banana (Gluten-Free)
- Radius Kids Organic Toothpaste Dragonfruit (Gluten-Free)
- Radius Organic Matcha Mint Toothpaste Gel (Gluten-Free)
- Radius Organic Mint Aloe Neem Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)
- Redmond Earth Powder Peppermint (Gluten-Free)
- Redmond Earth Powder Splashin’ Citrus (Gluten-Free)
- Revitin Citrus Clean Toothpaste
- Risewell Natural Hydroxyapatite Toothpaste
- Risewell Natural Kids Toothpaste
- Schmidt’s Wondermint Tooth+Mouth Paste
- Schmidt’s Wondermint with Activated Charcoal Tooth+Mouth Paste
- Schmidt’s Kids Tooth+Mouth Paste Watermelon & Strawberry
- Schmidt’s Kids Tooth+Mouth Paste Coconut & Pineapple
- Simple Sooney Zero Waste Organic Peppermin Tooth Powder
- Spry Kid’s Tooth Gel Fluoride-Free Original
- Spry Kid’s Tooth Gel Fluoride-Free Bubble Gum
- Squigle Tooth Builder Sensitive Toothpaste Fluoride-Free
- SuperBee Dentos Eco Toothpaste Tabs
- Taylor’s Elevated Tooth Paste Peppermint
- Taylor’s Elevated Tooth Powder Gettin’ Fresh Mint
- Taylor’s Elevated Tooth Powder Sippin’ Cinnamon
- The Dirt Coconut Oil Toothpaste Sweet Cinnamon (Gluten-Free)
- The Dirt Trace Mineral Tooth Brushing Powder Super Mint (Gluten-Free)
- The Dirt Trace Mineral Tooth Brushing Powder Sweet Spice (Gluten-Free)
- Theraneem Kids Neem Toothpaste Tropical Blast (Gluten-Free)
- Theraneem Neem Tooth & Gum Powder
- Theraneem Neem Toothpaste Mint (Gluten-Free)
- Thrive Market Activated Charcoal Toothpaste Cool Mint
- Thrive Market Triple Action Toothpaste Peppermint
- Uncle Harry’s Unscented Brushing Soap Tooth Suds (Gluten-Free)
- Uncle Harry’s Unscented Tooth Powder (Gluten-Free)
- USANA® Whitening Toothpaste Featuring ADP-1
- Viva Doria Natural Fluoride Free Tooth Powder
- WELdental Chewtab Gentle Whitening Toothpaste Tablets
- WELdental Chewtab Gentle Whitening Toothpaste Tablets with Nano Hydroxyapatite
- WELdental Chewtab Toothpaste Tablets Zero Waste, Bubblegum
- WELdental Chewtab Toothpaste Tablets Zero Waste, Cinnamon
- Weleda Calendula Toothpaste
- Weleda Children’s Tooth Gel Spearmint
- Weleda Plant Gel Toothpaste Spearmint
- Wellnesse Whitening Toothpaste Fresh Mint (Use discount code “Mamavation10” for 10% off, links to small biz, not Amazon)
- Young Living Aromabright
- Young Living KidScents Toothpaste Citrus
- Young Living Thieves Dentarome Ultra
- Young Living Thieves Whitening
Toothpaste with Fluoride:
- bioXtra Dry Mouth Mild Toothpaste*
- Burst Charcoal Fluoride Coconut Salt Toothpaste (Gluten-Free)*
- Happy Tabs Toothpaste Tablets With Fluoride*
- Jason Sea Fresh® Anti-Cavity & Strengthening Gel Deep Sea Spearmint (Gluten-Free)*
- Simplut Peppermint Flavor Toothpaste Tablets*
- Tom’s Activated Charcoal Toothpaste Peppermint (SLS-Free)*
- Vontee Toothpaste Tabs*
Thank you! this was very informative.
Hello, why is Nano Hydroxyapatite toothpaste in the list of the best toothpaste given the concerning description in the beginning of the article? Thanks!
Why is Risewell Natural Hydroxyapatite Toothpaste in the best category provided the concerning description of Nano Hydroxyapatite in the beginning of the article? Thanks in advance.
I have no affiliation with them but your comment made me go down the rabbit hole, I found this on an interview with the founder of Risewell: They asked the question, “How do we create more of what your tooth enamel is made of?” And they worked on figuring out how to manufacture synthetic hydroxyapatite. This synthetic form is nano-hydroxyapatite, but just in the last decade, a naturally derived, non-nano form became more widely available, and this is what we use.
There is another hydroxyapatite toothpaste on the market that uses nano-hydroxyapatite. But with Risewell, we wanted to stay as close to nature as possible with our ingredients — and also avoid nanoparticles. This natural form of hydroxyapatite is vegan and sourced from a mine in France. We visited every single supplier we could find so that we knew exactly where it came from.
This is amazing. Thanks for sharing this blog. I have become a fan of your blogs. This blog is so interesting and informative.
How about cetylpiridinium chloride in mouthwashes/oral rinses (such as Oral B Dry Mouth Rinse & others)? Doesn’t cetylpiridinium work similar to chlorexhidine in killing both good and bad mouth bacteria?
great list – but what about toothbrushes? I’m not sure if the Oral-B ones i have are safe!!
Such a creative post it was. I loved reading it. Thanks!
Thank you for sharing this and providing links to the studies. In fact, I was one of those people who, until recently, thought that fluoride really couldn’t be a big problem for our body, since it has been used in our toothpaste for so long. But you were able to prove how wrong I was. Also, a special thanks for giving us a list of toothpaste and tooth powders that are really safe and useful for us. Since after such information I immediately wanted to change my paste.
The post you shared here about beauty care is very knowledgeable. Thanks for sharing this amazing! information…
Such an amazing article.You would love to see my benefits-indulekha-hair-oil-in-hindi site as well.
Thanks once again.
I’m confused as to why Poofy Organics Happy Teeth Tooth Powder isn’t on the list. Can someone clarify?
Why does your best list has glycerin? It leaves an invisible coating that doesn’t let nature work and inhibit the natural process of remineralization, but it is also a magnet for plaque.
I’m with you on that, Michelle. Glycerin also keeps the living teeth from breathing. Earthpaste, without silver, is the only one on the list that I know to be pure.
It is hard to find toothpaste without glycerin.
I just recently found North American Herb & Spice OregaFresh, P73 Toothpaste, Mint
Ingredients: mountain springwater, calcium carbonate, peppermint, spearmint, extra virgin olive oil, wild oregano oil P73, sage, rhatany root, geranium, clove bud oil, birch tree extract, eucalyptus leaf oil, papaya extract
I haven’t tried it yet but it sounds good.
Yeah, wondering the same. The list must curated to make it glycerin free as well. Uncle Harry’s also doesn’t kaane glycerin. I use the spearmint paste. I love that.
Which toothpaste do you recommend and use without glycerin? I couldn’t find any!
I do not use any form of paste, powder, gel, etc. I just use tree twigs of Miswak/Toothwak for my teeth. I feel using these gives me a better clean mouth and my mouth still feels fresh the next morning after brushing from the night before.
Thanks so much! I’m confused as to why Redmond’s Earth Paste is not in the best category… ingredients are bentonite clay, sea salt, menthol, tea tree oil, and spearmint oil (for the spearmint flavored one) Can you tell me what the bad ingredient is?
Some Redmond’s is on the best list. The ones that are not are the ones with nan-silver.
I meant nano-silver
Bentonite clay can be contaminated with lead.