When the winter squash is in season I start to get excited. I love to experiment with new recipes and bring back some of my favorites too. Organic Stuffed Acorn Squash and Chicken Apple Sausage is one of those favorites. It pairs the sweet organic sausage with savory stuffed organic acorn squash that’s full of organic kale and garlic. It’s a delicious and healthy alternative to the normal side of rice or potatoes.
I’ve seen conventional acorn squash go on sale a time or two, but the organic version never had, until now. It’s like the grocery store knew I had been craving this recipe, because organic kale went on sale at the same time. Both winter squash and kale fall in the top 25 of the EWG’s complete list of pesticide levels on food. This means they have more pesticides and organic is a better option. This entire meal is 100% organic, and it still came in under budget. This meal cost $14.11 total, or $3.53 per person. That means this week I made an organic breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a family of four for $24.75! Here is how this meal adds up:
- $2.20 Organic Acorn Squash from Sprouts.
- $1.50 Organic Kale also purchased at Sprouts.
- $0.10 Organic Olive Oil bought during Sprouts’ buy one get one free sale.
- $0.20 Sprouts’ store brand Organic Tomato Paste.
- $0.11 Organic Garlic Cloves bought at Sprouts.
- $10.81 Trader Joe’s Organic Breadcrumbs.
- $1.20 Organic Valley Grated Parmesan Cheese from Jimbo’s.
- $7.99 Applegate Organics Chicken Apple Sausage from Sprouts.
Below is the full recipe for this meal to make yourself.