It’s time for trick or treats again, but kids can find their bags of Halloween candy more full of tricks than treats. Candy loaded with GMOs, dyes, preservatives and all kinds of junk can find its way into your children’s Halloween treat bag. What are some good options for candy and what can you do to protect your child?
Mamavation Recommended GMO-Free Halloween Candy and Treat Brands
I’ve limited these to brands that are not only organic, but sell the treats in larger bag sizes, so that you can stock up for your trick or treaters. The good news? We’re seeing more of these brands in our regular supermarkets, rather than just in health food stores and Whole Foods. Without further ado, here are Mamavation’s recommended GMO-free Halloween candies and treats:
- New this year: Nutiva Organic O’Coconut Classic and Hemp & Chia snacks are a perfectly healthy and delicious treat, made with coconut oil. Certified organic and Non-GMO verified, these goodies are also Fair Trade Certified. Available in 24-pack bags.
- Endangered Species Organic Bug Bites: These milk chocolate squares are organic, but the fun thing about them is that they come with an insect trading card. A great treat to add to a child’s candy bag, Endangered Species gives back 10% of its profits to conservation nonprofits. They are also certified gluten free. Available at The Natural Candy Store and available in 64-count packs.
- Organic Surf Sweets Candy: Kids love these amazing snacks and so do we! Made with organic fruit juice and using only natural colors and flavors, they are created in a facility that is free of the 10 most common allergies and are Feingold Diet approved too. Surf Sweets are now available in 20 Treat Packs at stores like Wegman’s and Whole Foods.
- YumEarth Organics: YumEarth creates organic lollipops, worms, gummy bears, sour beans and fruit snacks in a variety of flavors. Gluten free and certified USDA organic, YumEarth has a helpful chart for you to select the right snack if your child has food allergies. This GMO-free Halloween candy is now available at many Walgreen’s shops, YumEarth is available in 5lb bulk or 50 Snack Pack sizes on their website.
- Annie’s Organic Fruit Snacks: These delicious bunny shaped gummies and fruit bites are all certified USDA Organic or Non-GMO Project Verified. Both gluten-free and vegan, they are free of artificial flavors, synthetic colors or preservatives, and high fructose corn syrup. Annie’s uses real fruit and vegetable juice. Available online and in some supermarkets, like Whole Foods.
- Justin’s Organic Peanut Butter Cups: Halloween just hasn’t been the same without peanut butter cups, so Justin’s Organic PB Cups is just the ticket! For the chocolate, Justin’s uses Rainforest Alliance Certified Cocoa, which supports cocoa farmers in using sustainable practices and improving their incomes. This delicious Halloween candy is available online and at many local retailers.
- Sun Cups: For kids with nut allergies, Sun Cups are a delicious way to enjoy that butter cup taste. Sun Cups are Non-GMO Project verified, Rainforest Alliance Certified, and free of soy, gluten, peanuts and tree nut, plus made in a nut- and gluten-free facility. Available in 16 cup variety pack online and in stores.
- Glee Gum: This gum is Non-GMO Project Verified, plus free of artificial flavors and colors, Glee Gum also has several sugar-free varieties made with xylitol derived from birch for a low glycemic option. Glee Gum offers a Mini Glee Variety Pack perfect for Halloween, with an assortment of 21 mini Glee Gum boxes.
How to Safe Guard Your Child
If you have to take your child trick or treating, here are some tricks you can use to protect him from the not-so-great Halloween candy everyone else is giving out:
- Exchange his candy for a bagful of the goodies above. Put it in a beautiful bag, fill it past what they have and ask which they’d prefer!
- Get a visit from the Switch Witch. Have them put their candy out as they go to bed. In the night, the Switch Witch comes – much like Santa – and leaves a present. (Go ahead and decorate with some of the candies listed above!)
- Visit homes featuring a teal pumpkin. These homes are not giving out candy. Instead, they offer candy-free items, like small toys. This is a new idea, so you might not see many this year, but be sure to stop at the house and support them if you do.
- Stock up on enzymes, activated charcoal and kid-friendly probiotics for any cheats your child may have had with unsafe candies. In fact, keep all that stuff on hand through the whole holiday season!
Halloween does not have to be a scary time for kids overdosing on candy. Today, there are lots of cleaner options for kids who want to enjoy trick or treating with these GMO-free Halloween candy and treat solutions!
Disclosure: Bookieboo LLC has worked with numerous brands in the natural space, including Nutiva.