When eating organic on a budget, you may find yourself doing a lot more cooking. There are a ton of benefits to this, such as knowing what’s in your food, lower costs, and fresh ingredients. However, there is one downside — dishes. Yes, it’s true. The more delicious meals I make for my family, the more dishes in the sink. This is why I made One Pot Organic Chicken with Wild Rice and Vegetables. It’s all cooked in the same pan from start to finish so you have an easy clean up afterwards. It’s also a filling and flavorful meal. The organic chicken is crisped in the pan and flavored with garlic, butter, lemon, and thyme. It’s all cooked together with organic wild rice and carrots in the oven. Your entire home will be filled with the fragrant scents of garlic and thyme as it cooks.
Organic chicken can seem expensive when compared to the alternatives, but it’s definitely worth it. What you get with organic chicken is no hormones, no antibiotics, no GMOs, and no pesticides. The animals are also raised in much better living conditions than their conventional counterparts. That is reason enough for me to buy organic. That doesn’t mean I want to throw my money away though. I still want to buy it at the cheapest possible price. I look for sales and usually buy the whole chicken — bone, skin, everything. That will give you the biggest savings. This time the chicken was on sale for the same price whole as it was butchered, so it saved me some work on my one pot meal. Chicken also freezes well, so buy on sale and thaw when you want to cook it. I purchased the carrots and broth on sale when I made Organic Shepherd’s Pie last week, so I was happy to use them again. Altogether, this recipe cost just $10.18, only $2.55 a person.
Here is exactly what went into this recipe:
- $5.10 Organic chicken from Sprouts.
- $1.52 Lundberg Organic wild rice on sale at Sprouts.
- $0.90 Trader Joe’s organic beef broth (or chicken broth)
- $0.36 Yellow onion. Part of the clean 15.
- $0.66 Organic rainbow carrots on sale at Sprouts.
- $0.22 Organic garlic cloves also at Sprouts.
- $0.49 Organic lemon at Sprouts but usually cheaper at Vons.
- $0.19 Organic thyme purchased at Sprouts.
- $0.60 Trader Joe’s organic unsalted butter. (They have the best price for this I have seen.)
- $0.14 Organic olive oil from Sprouts.