I love to cook, and I spend my fair amount of time in the kitchen. My son is always close by and intrigued with what I’m cooking, so I’ve started to let him help. This slow cooker Organic Grass Fed Beef Stew on Cauliflower Mash is easy to throw together, and my toddler was delighted to help me make it. I’m just as delighted, because he is guaranteed to try a new meal if he helped make it. It’s a meal to please the whole family. My husband gobbled it up so fast I thought I forgot to get him a serving!
I left out the potatoes, replacing them with cauliflower. It’s a low-glycemic vegetable with less than a third of the carbs and calories than a potato. I think it was actually better this way! The creamy buttered organic cauliflower mash was the perfect vessel to hold a hearty stew loaded with big pieces of organic grass fed beef and baby carrots. This entire meal came together for $16.24. If you break that into servings, it’s just $4.06 each! Here is the itemized cost for each ingredient:
- $6.99 Organic Grass Fed Beef Stew Meat on sale at Sprout’s.
- $1.34 Organic Baby Carrots from Sprout’s.
- $0.30 Sprout’s store brand Organic Tomato Paste.
- $0.75 Sprout’s Organic Chicken Broth. (You can use beef broth too, I just had chicken broth in my pantry)
- $0.25 Annie’s Organic Worcestershire Sauce from Jimbo’s.
- $0.40 Organic Onion from Sprout’s.
- $0.08 Organic Garlic from Sprout’s.
- $0.20Organic Oregano from Von’s.
- $0.08 Bob’s Red Mill Unbleached All Purpose Organic Flour from Sprout’s.
- $0.70 Cascadian Farms Organic Peas from Sprout’s.
- $4.30 Organic Cauliflower from Sprout’s.
- $0.70 Trader Joe’s Organic Unsalted Butter.
- $0.15 Strauss Organic Milk from Sprout’s.
You can cook this up yourself with the handy recipe below. vTFCgkT6VUuBkosD. Be sure to take a look at all the kid friendly recipes I made this week, and check back for more next week.
Recipe for Organic Grass Fed Beef Stew on Cauliflower Mash:
This hearty meal will be a hit with the whole family. The potatoes won’t be missed with this creamy cauliflower puree. It’s simple to prepare in the slow cooker too!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours
Total Time: 6 hours, 10 minutes
Calories per serving: 582
Fat per serving: 36.8
1 pound Organic Grass Fed Beef Stew Meat
2 cups Organic Baby Carrots
3 tablespoons Organic Tomato Paste
16 ounces Organic Chicken or Beef Broth
1 1/2 tablespoons Organic Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Organic Onion
2 cloves Organic Garlic
1/2 tsp Organic Oregano
Pinch of Salt and Pepper
2 tablespoons Organic Flour
1 1/4 cup Water
1/2 cup Organic Frozen Peas
1 head Organic Cauliflower
1/2 cup Organic Unsalted Butter
1/4-1/2 cup Organic Milk
For the Organic Grass Fed Beef Stew:
- Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Dice the onion.
- In a slow cooker add cubed stew meat, carrots, tomato paste, broth, Worcestershire sauce, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Cook on high heat for 5-6 hours.
- Whisk together the flour and 1/4 cup water into a slurry.
- 30 minutes before the stew is done add the slurry and the peas.
- Start the cauliflower mash.
For the Cauliflower Mash:
- In a large pot bring 1 cup water to a boil.
- Separate the cauliflower into florets.
- You can use the core, too, just chop it into fine pieces.
- Add the cauliflower to the pot of boiling water and cook on medium heat until tender. (About 12 minutes)
- Drain the cauliflower and return to the pot with the heat off.
- Add 1/2 cup of butter and 1/4 cup milk.
- Mash with a potato masher until it resembles mashed potatoes. If it is too thick, add more milk.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the stew atop a pile of the cauliflower mash and enjoy.