My favorite meal is breakfast because it gets your body fueled for the rest of the day. A healthy breakfast really sets the tone for the remaining meals you’ll be consuming. This recipe for Organic Raspberry Chia Oats with Honey is an energizing meal, with 15 grams of protein per serving. It’s quick and easy to prepare, which is perfect when the family needs to get out of the door fast. It’s also wonderful to cozy up on the couch with a warm bowl of these chia oats and relax. The tartness of the raspberries plays off the sweetness of the almond milk and honey to lure your taste buds awake. The warm, hearty texture of the oats is satisfying to the palate and leaves you feeling full as well.
Although we are focused on being budget friendly with this meal, you can also customize it to any season and to suit everyone’s taste buds by adding different mix-ins. Some of my favorites are peanut butter, bananas, dark chocolate chips, and raisins. It’s really a versatile recipe. These mix-ins will change the total cost of the meal, but you can also save money by substituting water for the almond milk. As prepared to the recipe below, the total cost for the chia oats, for a family of four, is $10.13, or $2.53 per person. This was the most expensive meal of the three recipes in our meal plan, but breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day.
Here is the total cost breakdown:
- $1.98 Organic quick oats purchased for $4.99/lb at Sprouts in the bulk aisle.
- $3.29 So Delicious Almond Plus Unsweetened Almond Milk, on sale at Sprouts. This brand is Non GMO project verified, has added protein, and I like the unsweetened because it allows me to control the sweetness.
- $2.98 Organic raspberries on sale at Sprouts.
- $0.80 Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds, purchased at Costco for $14.99 for a 32 ounce bag
- $1.08 O Organics Honey Grade A purchased at Von’s for $5.99 for 16 ounces.