To round out our Frighteningly Frugal Organic Meals, I created this spaghetti recipe. I discovered this organic pasta while attending ShiftCon. As a vegetarian, black beans are a regular protein source in my diet. This pasta is made entirely out of organic black beans and salt. Those are literally the only two ingredients. It also makes this recipe gluten free. Since it isn’t a traditional spaghetti, it needed a non-traditional sauce. I went with common Mexican pairings for black beans, and the results were delicious. Organic Black Bean Pasta with Roasted Tomatillo Avocado Sauce combines the unique flavor of the pasta with a vibrant sauce. The avocado helps to make the sauce creamy, and the cilantro adds a bright flavor. Lastly, tomatillos and garlic give a hint of roasted flavor.
Pasta is a wonderful way to keep your meals on a budget. It’s relatively cheap and you can add just about anything you want to it. I took a look around the organic produce section to see what green foods would make a delicious sauce. I essentially modified a traditional pesto recipe. Even without meat in the recipe, there is still a fair amount of protein provided by the black bean pasta. Avocados also have some protein, and are full of healthy fats. This makes the pasta delicious, and good for you. It all comes together for around $5.70, and $1.43 a serving. Depending on the actual amount of organic olive oil needed for the sauce, it could cost even less. Here are the itemized costs:
- $3.49 Explore-Asia Organic Black Bean Spaghetti at Sprouts.
- $0.21 Tomatillos also from Sprouts.
- $0.08 Organic garlic purchased at Sprouts.
- $0.49 Avocado from Sprouts too. Part of the clean 15.
- $0.99 Organic cilantro from Sprouts as well.
- $0.12-$0.24 Organic extra virgin olive oil from Sprouts.
- $0.20 Organic red onion bought at Vons.
- salt (recipe value less than 1 cent)