This week I made a classic breakfast with a spooky twist. I transformed basic eggs, sausage, and biscuits into Yummy Mummy Sausages with Organic Biscuits and Eggs. Organic country chicken sausage is wrapped in organic biscuit dough to create mini mummies. It’s served with a fresh organic egg and a warm, fluffy biscuit. It’s a perfect breakfast to start your Halloween off right, and it’s the start of this’s week’s Frighteningly Frugal Organic Meals.
Biscuits bring back the fondest memories for me. As a child we would go to a local ranch and eat the most amazing biscuits while listening to live music and dancing around. I still remember how the biscuit practically melted in my mouth. I have been making biscuit pretty much ever since in an attempt to replicate them. This recipe is a classic, made from scratch version. By eliminating the boxed biscuit mix, or the canned biscuits, I was able to create an organic version that tastes better and is much cheaper too. It all came together for $9.02, that’s $2.26 per serving! Here is the cost of each ingredient:
- $0.59 Bob’s Red Mill Organic Unbleached All Purpose flour from Sprout’s
- $0.70 Organic Valley 2% milk purchased on sale at Sprout’s
- $0.90 Trader Joe’s brand organic unsalted butter
- $0.17 Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Cane Sugar from Jimbo’s
- $0.03 Bob’s Red Mill Organic baking powder
- $1.33 Organic Eggs from Sprout’s
- $5.25 Organic Fully Cooked Country Breakfast Chicken Sausage, available online from Tecumseh farms or select stores.
- $0.05 Nutiva Organic coconut oil from Costco.
- $0.00 Salt (value less than 1 cent)
The complete recipe for you is just below.
Be sure to read all the tips to eat organic while sticking to a budget.