Where are the safest non-toxic indoor kitchen grills and paninis? With all the non-stick coatings on cooking surfaces that are so prevalent in kitchen grills and paninis, is it possible to find products that are inert? After evaluating over 50 products and contacting companies for details, we found some good options for you. You’ve trusted Mamavation to bring you topics like best non-toxic air fryers, safest cookware, & best non-toxic waffle makers, now join us for the best non-toxic indoor kitchen grills and paninis. Scroll down to the bottom for a list of ranked brands & products.
Disclosure: This post was medically reviewed by Sondra Strand, RN, BSN, PHN. This post also contains affiliate links.
Table of Contents
Not All Indoor Kitchen Grills & Paninis Are Created Equal
Looking for a non-toxic indoor kitchen grill or panini with a nonstick surface so you can get that perfect sear on your steak or cook those perfect burgers? Need options that are also smaller because you live in an apartment or have less counter space? Most of the top picks for indoor kitchen grills and paninis on other wellness sites had coatings that were problematic to health.
We know using products with non-stick food contact surfaces is much easier and less messy with easy cleanup, but the reality is what they are putting in the coatings of your indoor kitchen grill or panini may be putting your hormonal health or gut health into jeopardy. This is why Mamavation has decided to do an investigation on indoor kitchen grills and paninis to ensure you have the best & safest small kitchen appliances for your family. Whether you are looking for a full griddle, half grill, or full grill, Mamavation has found options for you to be able to cook up those vegetables, chicken breasts, or roast on high heat.
What type of coatings do you want to avoid when purchasing a non-toxic kitchen grill pan or panini? Based on our evaluation of the industry, you want to avoid the following:
- PFAS “forever chemical” coatings like PTFE (Teflon)
- Nano titanium ceramic coatings
PFAS “Forever Chemicals” in Indoor Kitchen Grill Coatings
Using a PFAS “forever chemical” coating made from PTFE is the most common of kitchen grill or panini, but the problem with PFAS is it’s persistent and very toxic. Your cook time may decrease, but PFAS “forever chemicals” are problematic to human health and the environment. Many of these chemicals are tasteless and can last for years in our bodies. Therefore, it’s imperative to reduce the amount of PFAS you are exposed to from food, water, cookware, and personal care products.
No one knows the direct impact of using small kitchen appliances coated with PFAS, but that doesn’t mean there is no danger. However, we do know what the health impacts are when there is exposure to PFAS through water and food. They are listed below:
- Reduction in immunity
- Reduced vaccination response
- Increased risk of allergies & asthma in young children
- Affected growth, learning, and behavior of infants and older children
- Increase cholesterol levels
- Metabolic diseases like obesity & diabetes
- Cardiovascular disease
- Lowered a woman’s chance of getting pregnant
- Lowered male fertility
- Smaller penis size
- Increased the risk of kidney & testicular cancers
- Causes endocrine disruption
- Disrupted normal thyroid function
Kitchen grills with PFAS coatings may be more likely to be “dishwasher-safe,” but are these health effects worth the risk? That is for your family to decide, but we assume since you came to Mamavation that you would like a indoor kitchen grill that is as safe as you can get.
Nano Titanium in Indoor Kitchen Grill & Panini Coatings
Did you hear about skittles being sued for the inclusion of titanium dioxide in their product? Well, if you’ve been avoiding Skittles because you were aware of the titanium dioxide, you may want to take a closer look at your cookware and your indoor kitchen grill.
Titanium dioxide is a white, powdery mineral used in many everyday products used inside the home, including cookware, sunscreen, cosmetics, plastics, toothpaste, and paint. Nano titanium dioxide is also found in most ceramic pans, which is something most people are unaware of. So if you are concerned about titanium dioxide as a food additive, you should also be looking sideways at your quasi-ceramic “non-stick” pans as well.
A study published in the journal Food Additives & Contaminants in 2017 found that nanoparticles in non-stick coatings of ceramic pans are migrating into food. This type of coating consists of a silicone polymer matrix with embedded micro- and nanosized titanium dioxide particles and quartz silicium dioxide. This is really bad news because food-grade titanium dioxide has been linked to immune disruption and pre-cancerous lesions in the gut.
If you would like to avoid this chemical in your cookware, check out our popular cookware & bakeware investigation for the safest products. We’ve already gone through all the cookware to show you which ones are coated with this nanoparticle and which are not. Nano has also been found in some types of stainless steel cookware as well, but it’s unknown whether that type of cookware allows nanoparticles to migrate into your food.
Silicone-Based Coatings in Indoor Kitchen Grills & Paninis
Silicone-based coatings on cookware are the latest non-stick invention, but our advisors are not calling this technology inert. Why? Scientists at the Food Packaging Forum have told us the chemical composition of silicone is similar to other plasticizers that leach, so they are concerned that may be happening. It’s just that not enough attention has been directed at silicone to study it while so many other contaminants are the focus.
Unfortunately, there aren’t very many real options for electric grills other than the ones that are silicone coated. If you just want a grill that is heated by your stove, no problem, we have some options for you. You’ll see what we were talking about when you look at the “best” category. Whatever your preferences, if you want a non-stick coating, this may be your only option, but we found some additional options that we believe may not have any coatings.
Additional Small Kitchen Appliances & Cookware
Most of what we found were electric grills with temperature control or an adjustable temperature gauge but still allowed you to get those grill marks to vary those flavors. However, we know that these are not the only small kitchen appliances you will be looking for. So we wanted to show you what else we’ve been ranking in the kitchen for your own versatility to help you avoid toxic coatings.
Mamavation’s Investigation on Indoor Kitchen Grills & Paninis
Indoor kitchen grills & paninis are a very confusing category for consumers. Most brands are using advertising gimmicks that are not really that impressive. Most brands are advertising “free from PFOA” and then adding another type of PFAS chemical coating OR a nano-coating that is also linked to human health problems. By 2024, it will be illegal for brands to say they are “PFOA-free” while using any type of PFAS coating in California so soon you will see some of this confusing marketing change. But in the meantime, Mamavation has stepped in to help you cook food without all that grease in a safer way.
Mamavation found over 50 different indoor kitchen grills & paninis and paid close attention to what coatings they were using on food contact surfaces. In addition, we had to contact several brands to get clarification on their marketing. Please note we did not test any of these products in the lab. This is how we arranged the investigation based on what we found. We also looked for some griddles for you to cook those pancakes, eggs, bacon, grilled cheese, etc.
- Not Our Favorite Indoor Kitchen Grills & Paninis: Mostly PFAS “forever chemical” coatings or mystery coatings
- Better Indoor Kitchen Grills & Paninis: Nanoparticle coatings
- Best Indoor Kitchen Grills & Paninis: Silicone coatings or no coatings
Not Our Favorite Indoor Kitchen Grills & Paninis
These indoor kitchen grills and panini products very likely contain PFAS “forever chemical” coatings, which are linked to various health conditions. Over time they will likely chip and leach hormone-disrupting chemicals into your food.
- Aroma Housewares ASP-137B Grillet
- Breville Smart Grill Electric Countertop Grill BGR820XL
- Chefman Electric Smokeless Indoor Grill RJ23-SG
- ChefWave Smokeless Tabletop Electric Indoor Grill with infrared heating
- Cosori Aeroblaze Smart Indoor Grill
- Costway 1500 W Smokeless Indoor Grill
- Cuisinart Sandwich Grill WM-SW2N1
- Cuisinart Griddler Elite GR-300WSP1
- Cuisinart GR-6S Contact Griddler with Smoke-Less Mode
- DeLonghi Livenza Electric All-Day Grill SW13ABC.S
- DeLonghi Indoor Grill & Panini Press BGR50
- Elite Gourmet Electric Panini Grill & Contact Grill
- George Foreman Grill 4-Serving Classic Electric Indoor Grill GR340FB
- George Foreman Contact Smokeless GRD6090B digital smart Grill
- Gourmia FoodStation 5-in-1 Smokeless Grill (GGA2100)
- Grilled Cheesus Jesus Sandwich Press
- Hamilton Beach Electric Sandwich Maker
- Hamilton Beach Electric Panini Press Grill 25410
- Hamilton Beach Electric Indoor Searing Grill 25363
- Hamilton Beach Electric Indoor Grill 25371
- Kalorik 6-in-1 Digital Contact Grill
- Mueller Ultra Gourmet Electric Grill EG-2500
- Power XL Smokeless Electric Indoor Grill
- T-Fal GC712D54 OptiGrill +
- Taylor Swoden 10-in-1 Panini Press & Electric Grill
- Techwood Indoor Smokeless Grill
- Wolfgang Puck XL Reversible Grill
- Williams Sonoma Open Kitchen Electric Griddle
Better Indoor Kitchen Grills & Paninis
These products are in the middle of the road. They likely contain nano-titanium (nanoparticles) as their “non-stick” coatings. Because nano-coatings are linked to poor gut issues when they eventually break down and become part of your meal, we are suggesting some caution. However, they are “better” than PFAS “forever chemical” coatings by far.
- Blue Diamond Deluxe Electric Sizzle Griddle
- Carl Schmidt Sohn Smokeless Indoor Grill
- CRUXGG 500F Searing Grill/Griddle
- CRUXGG 2-in-1 Smokeless Indoor Grill
- Gotham Steel Smokeless Grill
- Gourmia GFS2655 Smokeless Electric Indoor Grill
- Granitestone Diamond Smokeless Indoor Electric Grill
- Maverick Portable Electric Grill with ribbed glass
- Ninja AG301 Foodi- 5-in-1 Indoor Grill
- Ninja Foodi Smart XL Grill
- Zojirushi EB-CC15 Indoor Electric Grill
Best Indoor Kitchen Grills & Paninis
These products represent the safest options out there as of now.
Products with Silicone Type Non-Stick Coatings:
- GoWise USA 2-in1 Smokeless Indoor Grill & Griddle
- Green Life Sandwich Pro
- Green Life Indoor Electric Kitchen Griddle
- GreenPan Ulitmate Gourmet Indoor Grill
- GreenPan Extra Large Indoor Griddle (Use discount code “MAMAVATION” for 30% off products!)
- GreenPan 3-in-1 Elite Multi Grill, Griddle, & Waffle Maker (Use discount code “MAMAVATION” for 30% off products!)
- GreenPan Ceramic Non-Stick 3-n-1 Grill, Griddle, & Waffle Maker (Use discount code “MAMAVATION” for 30% off products!)
- GreenPan Premiere XL Smokeless Grill & Griddle (Williams Sonoma Exclusive)
- GreenPan Bistro Grill & Griddle (Use discount code “MAMAVATION” for 30% off products!)
- GreenPan Bistro Ceramic Non-stick Griddle (Use discount code “MAMAVATION” for 30% off products!)
- GreenPan Ultimate Gourmet Grill (Use discount code “MAMAVATION” for 30% off products!)
Products with No Coatings (Other than Oils):
- Hamilton Beach Professional Cast Iron Electric Grill with removable Cooktop 38560
- Lodge Round Cast Iron Grill Pan
- Lodge Cast Iron Square Grill Pan
- Lodge Cast Iron Square Griddle (additional Lodge Grill Products)
- Lodge Chef Collection Cast Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle (for use over two burners)
- Made In Carbon Steel Griddle