Safer Simi is a grassroots organization within Simi Valley, California that focuses on the hormonal health of women, children and the autoimmune compromised. Safer Simi is run in partnership with Mamavation.com and the Mamavation Influencer Network. Mamavation.com reaches millions of readers every year and the network is comprised of over 10,000 bloggers across the United States and Canada.
Table of Contents
The Goal of Safer Simi
The goal of Safer Simi is to promote policies at the local, state and federal level that safeguard the hormonal health of women, children and the autoimmune compromised.
Projects in 2019
Safer Simi is working on several projects in 2019 that focus on the health and wellness of women, children and the autoimmune compromised in Simi Valley.
- Letter writing campaign to the State Water Board & Division of Drinking Water compelling them to re-evaluate the MCL of perchlorate.
- Introducing Safer Simi to local elected representatives and attend public meetings
- State legislation to restrict perchlorate in baby formula in partnership with the Environmental Working Group (EWG) and the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF).
- Perfluorinated (PFAS) chemical study in school lunches in partnership with the Center for Environmental Health (CEH).
About Leah Segedie, the Founder
Leah Segedie, Founder of Mamavation.com & ShiftCon Eco-Wellness Blogger Conference, started Safer Simi as a way to impact safer policy in her local area. Since 2007, she’s been impacting wellness conversations in social media and organizing influencers for causes relating to public health, in particular, the health of families. Leah Segedie has received numerous awards and accolades, including being “Mother of the Year” by Shape Magazine, “Top Wellness Blog” by Fitness Magazine, and “Top 10 Mom Blogger” from Cision Media. Leah was invited to the White House by former First Lady Michelle Obama for a special summit on childhood obesity. She’s worked with over 250 brands representing organic & nonGMO food, greener cosmetics, safer cleaning & non-toxic consumer products. Leah Segedie is also the author of Green Enough: Eat Better, Live Cleaner, Be Happier (All Without Driving Your Family Crazy!) published by Rodale/Penguin. Leah speaks and consults on topics related to social media marketing and hormone-disrupting chemicals all over the world.
Safer Simi is Science-Based
Safer Simi is advised by pediatricians and scientists highly respected in their field, including some mentioned below. Click here to see the full list of who advises us!
- Dr. Tanya Altmann, M.D.
- Dr. Leonardo Trasande, M.D.
- Dr. Tom Zoeller at the University of Massachusets
- Dr. Pete Myers from Environmental Health Sciences