- The surprising connection between West Coast fires and the volatile chemicals tainting America's drinking wateron November 12, 2020 at 12:22 pm
Manufactured substances known as volatile organic compounds contaminate drinking water around the U.S. — and recent wildfires are making th...
- Biden to emphasize chemical concerns of ‘frontline’ communitieson November 12, 2020 at 12:20 pm
President-elect Joe Biden’s administration will pay more attention than the Trump administration to the concerns of people with higher-than...
- Biden EPA transition team member helped DuPont dodge regulationson November 12, 2020 at 11:47 am
Michael McCabe, a former EPA official and aide to Joe Biden, led DuPont’s defense of the toxic PFAS chemical PFOA.
- Auckland cancer survivor fearful ahead of vote on use of chemical weedkilleron November 12, 2020 at 3:54 am
Cancer survivor speaking out ahead of vote on a chemical spray which is banned in parts of Europe for health reasons.
- What we know about McDonald's new "McPlant" plant-based burgeron November 11, 2020 at 11:30 am
The fast food giant’s shift toward plant-based meat could have major implications for the growing sector—but it’s not quite cle...
- ‘This is environmental racism and we are just collateral damage’: Angeleno on living near Exide planton November 11, 2020 at 4:14 am
Exide owns a battery recycling plant in East LA that’s been closed for years. But the plant spewed lead, arsenic and other carcinogens know...
- After lead pollution findings in Atlanta, a free program to test Georgia yards for contaminationon November 11, 2020 at 4:13 am
After high levels of lead were found in a largely Black and low-income Atlanta neighborhood, concerns sparked a project to test soil across the s...
- $1M could have cleaned up toxic mercury floor in N.J. school, but voters shot it down twiceon November 11, 2020 at 3:55 am
The district superintendent said he's not sure what can be done in the short run to fix the problem.
- School lunch program supplier sold juice with high arsenic levels, U.S. says in lawsuiton November 11, 2020 at 3:39 am
F.D.A. inspectors also said that the supplier, Valley Processing of Sunnyside, Wash., used rotting or moldy apples and pears, in addition to expi...
- California sues San Joaquin helicopter company over pesticideson November 10, 2020 at 4:52 am
“Who would choose to run their business with such callous disregard for the safety of our children and families nearby?”
- Agents of Change: New fellows seek to reimagine science communicationon November 9, 2020 at 12:11 pm
We are excited to announce our second round of Agents of Change in Environmental Health fellows. Amplifying voices of next generation environment...
- New Jersey signs strongest plastic and paper bag ban in USon November 9, 2020 at 10:59 am
Gov. Phil Murphy has banned single-use plastic and paper food items at stores and restaurants.
- 1,4-Dioxane: Another forever chemical plagues drinking-water utilitieson November 9, 2020 at 3:14 am
Highly miscible in water, the likely carcinogen is challenging to remove.
- Researchers look to Rochester lead program to study other home hazardson November 5, 2020 at 11:48 am
Researchers from the University of Rochester, the Silent Spring Institute, and the Center for Healthy Housing will now study whether the city...
- Was plastics being mixed with oil in Mauritius spill to produce a horror ‘Frankenstein fuel’?on November 4, 2020 at 4:16 am
New findings from leading international scientists warn of 'unusual' characteristics discovered in Mauritius oil spill, 'unlike an...
- To reduce pollution, reserve Mumbai’s major roads for cyclistson November 3, 2020 at 10:11 pm
To reduce pollution in the financial capital, Mumbai mayor Kishori Pednekar has suggested reserving major roads once a week only for cycling.
- Microplastics in drinking water, baby formula: Plastic baby bottles shed particleson November 3, 2020 at 7:25 pm
A recent study published in Nature Food found plastic baby bottles can expose infants to thousands or even millions of particles of microplastics...
- 22 endocrinologists on what products they use in their homeson November 3, 2020 at 12:26 pm
Deciding what household products and foods to buy is tricky. There are thousands of products out there. Many do the exact same thing, or ar...
- ‘I will be left with nothing’: Why Colombians are watching the U.S. election closelyon November 3, 2020 at 5:03 am
Anxiety is growing over the revival of a controversial coca eradication strategy, backed by the Trump administration.
- Toxic synthetic “forever chemicals” are in our water and on our plateson November 3, 2020 at 4:33 am
What makes PFAS chemicals extremely useful—and extremely hard to get rid of—are the bonds between carbon and fluorine atoms that are ...