If you had a chance to speak to the CEO of McDonalds, what would you say? Would you talk about how you grew up loving their Happy Meals OR would you ask them to retire Ronald McDonald? McDonald’s is a company that is controversial to say the least and debatably the leading force behind the factorization and degradation of our food supply. But what do you say to a company with whose actions and practices you greatly disagree?
This Thursday you have your chance.
Every year McDonald’s holds an annual shareholders meeting to talk to press, shareholders, and the public. It’s an open forum where the CEO is present. At the very end of the McDonald’s presentation, the public is welcome to speak. Each person typically gets about one minute to read a statement and the CEO responds immediately to their questions. Last year Hannah Robertson, a 9 year old girl, made national news by telling the CEO of McDonald’s to leave kids alone and stop “tricking them into eating their food.”
This Thursday, our own Leah Segedie will have one full minute to speak to Don Thompson, the CEO of McDonald’s, at their Annual Shareholders’ Meeting. Leah is passionate about saving people from fast food and has been for several years. One of the first steps on her journey to regain her health, a process during which she has lost over 100 pounds, included swearing off McDonald’s and Diet Coke. She knows firsthand how these products adversely affect our health and the health of our children. While we can’t tell you what she’s going to say, we can guarantee that it will be worth your time to tune in.
The #MomsNotLovinIt Team
- Leah Segedie: Leah is the founder of the Mamavation community, the current 9th most Influential Mom Blogger by Cision Media, and one of the Top 10 Woman Changing School Nutrition. Follow @bookieboo Follow @Bookieboo on Twitter.
- Bettina Elias Siegel: Bettina is a former lawyer, freelance writer, mother, author of the critically acclaimed blog The Lunch Tray, and one of the 15 most important moms in the food industry. Follow @thelunchtray Follow @thelunchtray on Twitter.
- Migdalia Rivera: Migdalia is an associate campaign director at MomsRising.org, the founder of the award-winning blog Latina on a Mission, the owner of Stiletto Media, and the mother of two boys. Follow @mslatina Follow @mslatina on Twitter.
- Sally Kuzemchak: Sally is a mother, a registered dietician, a freelance nutrition writer, and the author of the well-read parenting blog, Real Mom Nutrition.
Follow @rmnutrition Follow @rmnutrition on Twitter.
- Rosa Perea: Rosa is a health educator and Assistant Director of the Centro Comunitario Juan Diego in Chicago’s South Side. As a health educator and a mother, Rosa sees every day how McDonald’s floods her community with marketing that targets children.
- Casey Hinds: Casey is a public health advocate, former Air Force Pilot, mother of two daughters, and author of the blog KY Healthy Kids.
Follow @caseyhinds Follow @caseyhinds on twitter.
Watch the meeting live to hear what Leah and the rest of the #MomsNotLovinIt team bring to the discussion with the CEO of McDonald’s. Their concern for the health and well-being of families, especially children, will be at the forefront of the sixty second speeches. In addition to watching the meeting live, you are also invited to participate in supporting the team and helping to spread the word about what is happening. Here’s how you can help –
Listen to the Live Webcast And Take Action
You can listen to the live webcast at 8 am CST on Thursday, May 22. Use this link for the information about how to listen in: 2014 Annual Shareholders’ Meeting Information. Be sure to visit the link BEFORE the webcast starts in order to sign up for it.
Tweet Your Support
Follow the Corporate Accountability International twitter account (@StopCorpAbuse) and retweet or tweet using the hashtag #MomsNotLovinIt. If you’re watching live, be sure to voice your opinions in the #MomsNotLovinIt hashtag as well.
Please also follow and retweet the following people:
Share this Post
Be sure to share this post prior to the meeting so that more people know about what is happening and can listen in on what is said.
Suggested Tweets (just a suggestion…you can totally make up your own.)
Have something to say to @McDonalds? Speak your mind LIVE during their shareholder meeting. Details here, http://bit.ly/RT5sot #MomsNotLovinIt
Support the #MomsNotLovinIt Team as they ask the McDonalds CEO the tough questions, http://bit.ly/RT5sot #ShiftCon
Suggested Facebook/Google update
Support the #MomsNotLovinIt Team with (tag Leah Segedie) at the McDonalds Annual Shareholder meeting as they ask Don Thompson, McDonalds CEO, tough questions. If you were in front of him, what would YOU say? http://bit.ly/RT5sot